E class coupe, parking brake adjustment help

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Stu-e350coupe

Car
E350 Coupe
Hi all

This is my first post :)

I read a lot of posts on here and have tried searching for the answer to my question.

I am after a little help to try and sort my parking brake. I have already adjusted the shoes at the rear wheels but the cable also needs adjusting. At present it is about 10 clicks plus at the foot pedal and the cable is particularly loose at the nearside rear, causing a rattle whilst traveling over bumps at slow speed.

Can anyone tell me where the cable adjuster is located and the correct process for adjusting.

Thanks

Hi, thought I'd have a look as to what t'internet throws up - and have just watched a fascinating YouTube vid on adjusting a C Class (W203) hand brake. As the C Class and E Class Coupe share many chassis components, this vid may be of use.

As I said, I found it fascinating 'cos I'd never have looked under the rear seats!!

Good luck.

Adjust only in the hub each side, take a small light, led pen light is good take the wheel off and look through the holes and rotate keep looking at about 10 o'clock your looking for a gear type adjuster, get a flat blade and turn it until the wheel is solid then back it off 3 clicks, the same each side.

As above and these may help...

Then use the under seat adjuster to adjust the pedal travel, if excessive.

Thanks for the help, but I've already adjusted the shoes through the hole on the disc. What I need to do now is tighten the cable, as the loose cable is causing the mechinisum to rattle inside the disc.

Does any one know how to adjust the cable?

Thanks

Does anyone know if cable adjustment is under the rear seat like the c class in the video?

Hi Stu,
I have a E320 W211 2003 4 door and my cable adjuster is NOT under the back seats. I was told to look there first as I wanted to lubricate where the cables come together. I understand that mine is underneath the car. Unfortunately there is a heat shield in the way so I had to abandon the project as there was not enough room when the car is only on DIY ramps.
Television was kind enough to supply a diagram of the adjuster and where it was on my model (to another member) but yours may be different. If you take off the rear pans and follow the cables from the wheels to the middle of the car it may become more obvious.
Regards
Alan

Usually you adjust at each hub, and the cable adjustment is automatically done under the rear seats...usually under a metal panel screwed down. I'd be very very surprised if you had to get under the car at all.

How did you adjust the cable in the end? I can't find anyone who has found the cable adjuster for this model?

I was told its under the car . i checked under my seats and found nothing. 2004 e 320 .i adjusted both rear hubs and footpedal was really tight after just a few turns tbh.

Fixed mine now, the E350 coupe doesn't have an adjuster it pulls the 2 rear cables equally so if one of the spreaders inside the rear disc is rusty / seized it'll only pull the other side.

Hi, I don't like the idea of rattling from the brake drum, haul it off and investigate.

on the w211 is it indeed under the car.... hidden between mulitple layers.. including the exhaust, the exhaust heat shields and then the propeller shaft.. at the very top of the car near the sheet metal.. it should have been inside the car and more easily accessible like the w204 and other series.. the adjustment is similar.. but it is hard to locate.. and then it is hard to reach... if you are going to try to do it.. there is one set of heat shields that are two pieces connected by a couple of screws.. take those off and then you can look up over the propller shaft and see the adjuster.. but good luck trying to adjust it.. you have to remove the cable that goes to the foot pedal that is causing the tension.. and then turn the 5mm hex bolt on the wheel and then push the cog backwards towards the rear of the car.. lol.. sounds like a mario type mission

It's a typical MB thing , the adjuster on my 2006 C class S203 is easily accessible from under the rear sea, but to change it , (and it will need replacing at some point because the cassette (as I call it) has a big hole in the bottom that lets all the road crud in) , this 'hole' must be there for MB cars that do not have access from above.

Without the trap door to inspect/adjust/lubricate it is a nightmare , I had mine replaced when the spring broke which entailed dropping the prop shaft , removing part of the exhaust (V8) and dropping the fuel tank a little because it can only be removed from underneath. Your car might be different , but it will be similar

Unit.JPG

trap door 2.JPG

This design is a good reason for cutting a hole in your car for future service access. It is a practice carried out on many cars, including some Ferrari. The trap door I have shown above is present and easily accessible on my estate, but I have accessed the same door on a saloon version and had to cut the mat and sound deadening away under the seat to get to it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom