e class engine size

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

magentalic

Car
clk 270 cdi
i am looking to buy an e class 2004-2007 which is the best engine size to go for 220,270/80 or 320 for reliability,economy and driving enjoyment.

I recently bought a facelift E320 cdi (V6) engine. So far I love it, super smooth with 7G tronic automatic gearbox. Haven`t done lots of miless yet but combined driving I seem to be getting around 38mpg. I will post back in a few months when I have done more miles and have an accurate mpg figure. From what I understand the E280 (V6) is the same engine but mapped differently to give different power/torque characteristics. The list price for the 320 when new is considerably more than the 280, its more powerful but according to published figures has the same fuel economy, so why buy a 280 unless you find a really good one at a good price?

I was told by a few people that the in line 5 cylinder (270) and 6 cylinder (320) are more reliable. From what I can see these engines have also been used in vans etc and are bomb proof with less sophisticated controls etc to go wrong. But these earlier cars are reported to be generally less reliable than the facelift cars (late 2006, different headlamps and front bumper), its also not that easy to find a low mileage example for sale.

I'd question how many miles you are doing and what type of driving the car will be doing as petrol may be better for cost and reliability.

Good man maths, sir!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom