E-Class Estate 2017 Hard Ride

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

johntech

Car
MB E-Class Estate 2017
Hello from the Yorkshire Dales
I have always wanted a Mercedes Benz and finally treated myself to a E-class amg line estate car. The car is beautiful and as a retired engineer I can appreciate the quality of the car. BUT I find the ride quality is awful not at all what I expected from such a lovely machine ! Every pothole or crack in the road sends a shudder through the car also the hard seats do not help. I am sorely dissapointed as I expected to float along in luxury ! So how can I improve the ride? Firstly has anyone replaced the rock hard run flat tyres and if so did it make a noticeable difference ? Or has anyone fit smaller wheels and new tyres ? I find the low profile tyres to be ridiculous one cannot get anywhere near a kerb without acute worry ! Whilst I appreciate the car is designed for 100mph plus cruising this is not a perfect world and our roads are far from perfect. My general feeling is if that this near perfect vehicle ruined by the way it rides. What does the team think please!
Best Wishes fron the Yorkshire Dales (with lots of potholes)
John

Sounds like you should not have bought the AMG line version....with its stiffer suspension and lower profile tyres on bigger rims. I would expect anything related to AMG to be a be harder and more edgy. Did you not test drive it before purchase??? The only real option would be to chop it in for something more suitable as changing the suspension/wheels etc will just devalue it come sale time. Sorry to hear that your first Mercedes experience was not as you hoped for.

You don't say what size wheels you have on your car, but if they are 19" they will give a harder ride. I have much the same car, with 18" wheels. I have another set of alloys with winter tyres, which are 17" and you do notice the difference when you swap between them, with the 17" giving a slightly smoother ride due to the tyres not being such a low profile. I don't find the ride on the 18" wheels that bad however - we have more that our fair share of potholes here in Scotland as well!
Might be worth checking that the tyres are inflated to the correct pressure, although you've probably thought of that already. Can you get a test drive in another model of E Class with a different setup for comparison? If you are able to drive one with a different wheel/tyre setup and find it better you could as a last resort buy another set of alloys that would allow bigger profile tyres to improve the ride quality. It would obviously cost a bit but probably less than you would lose if you swapped your car for something else. Keep the originals for when you sell the car.

Sounds like you should not have bought the AMG line version....with its stiffer suspension and lower profile tyres on bigger rims. I would expect anything related to AMG to be a be harder and more edgy. Did you not test drive it before purchase??? The only real option would be to chop it in for something more suitable as changing the suspension/wheels etc will just devalue it come sale time. Sorry to hear that your first Mercedes experience was not as you hoped for.

As above. In addition, the sport suspension variant is lowered compared to the non-sport 'comfort' suspension, which helps with reducing body roll when cornering hard, but does limit the suspension's up-and-down travel and the ability of the (shorter) springs and dampers to fully absorb bumps.

What you can try, is the following:

Reduce the tyres' air pressures to the minimum quoted in the range;

Change the runflat tyres to standard tyres;

Replace the 19" wheels with smaller wheels and higher-profile non-runflat tyres, while keeping the old wheels and tyres so that they can go back on the car come sell time. If changing the wheels, don't forget to notify your insurer.

Chipping in,

Simplest and most cost effective would be to sell (or even PX) the 19 inch wheel and tyres (are they run flat?) for a set of 18s with non run flat tyres.
Should be less than a set of 19 no run flat tyres overall.

If you're on 18s already either get rid of the runflats and research alternatives as some brands do gone better ride quality than others.

Plan C would be to swap the 28s for 17s with higher profile, but it would look very different.

Plan D, replace the car with an SUV with 50 plus profile tyres.

You could check tyre pressures are not to high first though...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom