E Class estate advice for migraine sufferer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lrochfort

Car
Renault Laguna (unfortunately)
Hello all,

I suffer from migraines that are triggered by rough riding cars and low frequency noise and vibration in the cabin.

I have up to £6500 to spend on an estate and the good people at PistonHeads suggested an E Class because a smooth ride and quiet cabin are my main priorities.

I'm in Swallowfield, Berks and it seems I can get a post-2006 W211 or early W212 for my budget within a 20 mile radius. I don't mind higher fuel/tax/insurance for bigger engines if it makes things smoother and quieter.

Could people please offer their opinion on:

• Post-2006 W211 with lower mileage vs early W212 with higher mileage
    • Is post-2006 really the improvement PistonHeads said?
  • Which trim levels have the softest ride for W211 and W212
    • I believe W211 Avantgarde is lower and stiffer than Elegance?
    • I don't know much about the W212 at all
  • How the engines compare for smoothness.
    • I know a petrol will win, but don't mind diesel if low frequency noise/vibration is insulated from the cabin
    • 4 vs 6 cylinder diesel?

Here's my autotrader search:

I quite liked the sound of these two, but don't know about Avantgarde ride:

2006 E280 Elegance:

2006 E320 Avantgarde:

Many thanks.

AvantGarde is firmer than the Elegance. It's a good compromise for expediting journeys over A and B roads and is not harsh - but is probably a bit more jarring around town.

Avoid larger wheels. The AvantGarde came with 16" alloys as standard - these are reasonably comfortable. Watch out for cars witht 17 and 18 inch wheels.

With a 2006 car you need to check it's a facelift version to avoid the SBC brakes (great braking system - but comes with the risk that the SBC pump may need replacement - and that's a hassle). The facelift came in during 2006.

I'd go for one with smaller wheels and AirMATIC air suspension if you can.

Shouldn't you be asking a Doctor?

I'd go for one with smaller wheels and AirMATIC air suspension if you can.

Also I would avoid a Diesel if possible, though sadly most seem to be Diesel... an E500 will be very smooth and quiet but probably not within the budget.

Other than that, as above... non-sport suspension (meaning a higher and soft-sprung car), and the smallest wheels you can find.

A 2009 211 on the earlier 646 2.1CDI cost me less than £3k during March.
V good condition on 122k miles.
If you go for the V6 3 litre it should still be within budget, and both smoother and quieter.

The 2.1 may be good enough but a test drive would be a good idea.

Hello all,

I suffer from migraines that are triggered by rough riding cars and low frequency noise and vibration in the cabin.

I have up to £6500 to spend on an estate and the good people at PistonHeads suggested an E Class because a smooth ride and quiet cabin are my main priorities.

I'm in Swallowfield, Berks and it seems I can get a post-2006 W211 or early W212 for my budget within a 20 mile radius. I don't mind higher fuel/tax/insurance for bigger engines if it makes things smoother and quieter.

Could people please offer their opinion on:

• Post-2006 W211 with lower mileage vs early W212 with higher mileage
    • Is post-2006 really the improvement PistonHeads said?
  • Which trim levels have the softest ride for W211 and W212
    • I believe W211 Avantgarde is lower and stiffer than Elegance?
    • I don't know much about the W212 at all
  • How the engines compare for smoothness.
    • I know a petrol will win, but don't mind diesel if low frequency noise/vibration is insulated from the cabin
    • 4 vs 6 cylinder diesel?

Here's my autotrader search:

I quite liked the sound of these two, but don't know about Avantgarde ride:

2006 E280 Elegance:

2006 E320 Avantgarde:

Many thanks.
Hi , have no idea what a migraine is like but is clearly unpleasant.

What is your journey profile , if short distance are generally driven petrol engines are better.

Diesel engines are better on longer distant traveling.However , remember larger cities are applying conjestion charges.

Must it be a Mercedes ?

The Skoda Superb Estate car offers better value for money and in my experience cover long distance with ease.

In my experience...I used to suffer with sever migraines...Eventually discovered it was down to grinding my teeth coupled with stress...had a gum shield made by my dentist and the situation improved dramatically....maybe get the headaches sorted.....then buy the car you really want

In my experience...I used to suffer with sever migraines...Eventually discovered it was down to grinding my teeth coupled with stress...had a gum shield made by my dentist and the situation improved dramatically....maybe get the headaches sorted.....then buy the car you really want
My dentist told me to buy one of the gumshields that boxers wear when I was grinding my teeth overnight :rolleyes:

As you are already looking at some smooth riding and quiet cars, my own experience is that by spending a few hundred pounds you can make any car considerably quieter at speed by considering this:

Having suffered from migraine myself, I know the benefits of reducing low frequency noise.

Regarding wheel sizes, my E500 Elegance (estate) with Airmatic rode beautifully on 18" wheels.

Enjoy the car; the W211 is a very nice place to be - very 'Mercedes'.

Last edited:
As you are already looking at some smooth riding and quiet cars, my own experience is that by spending a few hundred pounds you can make any car considerably quieter at speed by considering this:

Having suffered from migraine myself, I know the benefits of reducing low frequency noise.
I've also played around with sound deadening mats from Silent Coat. It certainly seems to have reduced some of the rumble, which i think is more noticeable in an estate as you have such a large open area around the rear wheel arches and spare wheel well. There was already a fair amount of this applied to my S212 but adding more has certainly helped. I was really playing for fun but if reducing noise is an issue i would consider having someone professional apply it and combine it with sound proof matting. (I learnt there is a difference between sound deadening and sound proofing!)

Thank you everyone for your replies, I appreciate it.

I just bought a 2006 facelift S211 e280 CDI with 130k, but full service history. All seems good so far with the migraines, so fingers crossed!
Glad you have found a car that suits.

Be aware that engine and gearbox mounts may well need replacing at the milage your car has covered

These can make a significant improvement in terms of noud8, vibration and harshness.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom