E Class Fuel Economy - Diesel v Petrol

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

David404

Car
GLE350d (W166)
I'm running a W211 E320 (OM642) and getting 33mpg BUT I do some towing and 1500Kg of caravan does have an impact... Think I'd be closer to 36mpg if I didn't tow.

Interested in real world returns from others with E Class vehicles W211, W212 and you lucky folks with the new W213, petrol/diesel/hybrid. Post your model/engine/mpg stats.

My 2011 E350 CDi Coupe can achieve upto 45MPG on a motorway run and as low as 18 MPG when cold in stop start town traffic.

2013 E220D facelift, done around 15k miles since buying it, trip computer says 37.7mpg.

Not great as I do lots of short runs but I know if i drive it on its natural habitat it will give me 550 miles a tank. :eek:

2018 E350e plug in - only 600 miles but the same as my previous C350e - overall 42mpg

My previous E320CDi estate did an average of 31.5mpg over 96,000 miles.
My current 2010 E350CDi estate has averaged 34mpg over 10,000 miles.
I think that’s great for the size of car and I the fact I don’t drive very economically. I tow a heavy trailer on occasions too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

45mpg easy out of my E320 CDI estate on a run

This is the current mpg figure from my W211 E320. This is pretty much 95% motorway driving though but shows what they can achieve.

3LsVHYp.jpg

In fact it still impresses me for a 3.2ltr engine! :)

This is the current mpg figure from my W211 E320. This is pretty much 95% motorway driving though but shows what they can achieve.

3LsVHYp.jpg

In fact it still impresses me for a 3.2ltr engine! :)

Was this a long road trip?

^ I'm the same as him.. mind you I've just had a lot of work done to it.. so that may change (For the better I hope)

I think you'd get more Alex if you gave it another coat of wax mate Lols! ( This was the secret behind the WWII Fighters etc in alumium, it was said that they could get an extra 5 mph out of them..)

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

P.S Turn the volume up and enjoy the sound of the supercharger howl..

Was this a long road trip?

That is the average across a number of journeys but as you can see, around 43 hours of driving. The bulk of which is the M25 and the M4. My eldest daughter lives in Bristol so I go and pick her up and drop her off every other weekend. I barely do any other driving other than the odd short trip.

^ I'm the same as him.. mind you I've just had a lot of work done to it.. so that may change (For the better I hope)

I think you'd get more Alex if you gave it another coat of wax mate Lols! ..

You might be right, get a bit more of a slick, aerodynamic surface out of it haha. :)

Not sure if you can see my Fuelly profile - christopherwk's Profile | Fuelly

There's stats on my 2003 E320 CDi, 2007 E320 CDi, 2013 E220 CDi, and my current E220d

I'll follow your progress on Fuley with interest. I'm several years off swapping at the moment but when the time comes it could be a tricky decision, petrol/diesel... just wish the Gove would come up with a sensible medium/long term plan and stick to it so we can all make sensable informed decisions. Fat chance I suspect given the idiot politicians (of all political persuasions) we have...

Driven to make progress, who needs a stinky dirty hand at the diesel pump? S212 E250 petrol, one of the few.

Nearly 4000 miles since last reset, A/B road 30/60 commute and general driving occasional motorway runs at speed limit levels. 29.7 MPG. I saw 37 earlier this year on a run to Holland earlier this year.

33lnpte.jpg

Driven to make progress, who needs a stinky dirty hand at the diesel pump? S212 E250 petrol, one of the few.

Nearly 4000 miles since last reset, A/B road 30/60 commute and general driving occasional motorway runs at speed limit levels. 29.7 MPG. I saw 37 earlier this year on a run to Holland earlier this year.

33lnpte.jpg

No diesel gets on my hands lol, its been no different than refuelling my petrol clk. Have I missed the joke?

Every pump I ever touched was filthy!

I’m no diesel fan despite owning them and servicing Perkins/Catapillar for many years.

Fair enough, most petrol stations provide plastic gloves though

I never see the need to use them though

Fair enough, most petrol stations provide plastic gloves though

I never see the need to use them though

Supermarkets leave my hands stinking... Shell no problems

OP ... same engine in my CLS (albeit with the Brabus D6) got 49mpg on a run to Peterborough once, usually around 43-45 on a run, 36-38 on my daily commute which is a mix of fast dual carriageway way and twisty A-road and honestly about 20-22 on short runs

2003 E320 Avantgarde, 245,000 miles on the clock,no rattles, no smoke. 46 mpg regularly on a 400 mile journey from Northampton to Fife. Confirmed by filling up with diesel after the journey. I have seen greater @ 49 mpg but the roadworks / accidents on the M6 pull it down a bit and of course winter time is not the best time of year for achieving max mpg.
It is hard to believe such mpg figures can be obtained from a 3.2 diesel engine and such a heavy car.

Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom