E class long whining noise on switch off

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rascalmaster

MB Enthusiast
Car
Brabus D5 (E280 CDI) Avantgarde, E280 CDI Sport Estate, E320 Avantgarde now sold
my W211 E280 CDI (facelift) emits a whirring/ whining noise a bit like an electric drill/ screwdriver, when i switch the engine off.
:dk:
this noise lasts about 10- 20 seconds and stops with a sound like a click.
it can be heard from outside the car, and emanates from the engine bay.
unable to locate the exact source in the the engine bay... :eek:

any ideas?

could it be the inlet port shut off motor?

any other ideas?

thanks in advance!

Anyone else notice this in their w211s ?

My V6 320 does this same thing.

I'm not worried in the slightest. These engines are smothered that much in electrics, it will be some obscure machine turning itself off.

I'd start worrying when it stops making the noise....

wonder if anyone else has noticed and can corroborate this...

Yeah as the car makes the same noise even if left idling for a while before switching off; I think the turbo should have stopped by then...

inlet port shut off motor?
the whirring/ whining stops with a click/clunk noise...
so i'm thinking maybe something mechanical. whats mechanical that works for a bit after the engine's stopped?...
-brakes?
-AC (though i'm sure mine's done it even when i have not used the AC)?
-inlet port shut off motor?

i must say, not too worried; as you all have noticed the same so it's obviously business as usual for the W211... now i'm just curious. lol

Could be the engine cooling fan which activates with the aircon/climate control. Turn off the climate control and it should stop the noise. If it gets too loud, the bearing are on the way out with a potential bill of about £600:(

ok.. will try again today ;-)
the noise only seems to come 'on' when the engine is switched off though.... and lasts for 10 seconds or so, before 'switching off' with a click.

hi,

i think this noise will be the sbc brake pump resetting itself

tom

i think this noise will be the sbc brake pump resetting itself

I have a non-turbo petrol with SBC and it doesn't do this.

So more likely cooling or valve or fan (again cooling) related.

Mine does this, it is definitely the cooling fan on mine,and seems to be noisier and takes longer to stop after switch off depending on the load on the A/C.

I had mine checked out by my local dealer because it would also come on sometimes as soon as I switched the engine on first thing on the morning for example. They told me the cooling fan was designed to run at lower speeds ie 50% ? capacity,( can't remember the exact figure ) even when the car was cold. Not sure how true this is.

They said it was nothing to worry about, and so far they have been correct over many miles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom