E Class MPG

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

B Evans

Car
Mercedes CLS 350d AMG C Class 220 CDI AMG
Hi all

I have just bought a 2012 E Class for work use, I had a company car but opted out as the tax was crippling me and I get a car allowance. I used to own a C Class which was unbelievable on fuel. I opted for the E Class as I like the bigger car but I am shocked at the MPG on it! Urban claims 45.6 MPG. At the moment I am almost at using 1/2 tank and I am at 206 miles. Is this normal for a 2.1 E Class? Lovely car, nice to drive etc but I am shocked at the MPG I am getting :wallbash:

Who knows, you left out that vital bit of info...how many litres in half a tank???

Who knows, you left out that vital bit of info...how many litres in half a tank???

30 Litres

In fact I must say my 4L supercharged XKR is not far off 200 miles for half a tank. (on a run that is :) )

My 2013 E250 saloon has averaged 40mpg over 58k miles

It is thirsty for short journeys around town as you would expect for a heavy diesel car. It is easy to get 50 mpg on along journey.

All this is based on in car display, not by calculating from a brim to brim fill.

See a regular 54/55MPG on my daily 45x2miles which is mostly motorway at a heady 60mph. (OBC reads high 50's though).

Do not forget at this time of year your MPG will generally go down.

Thanks guys, I will just try and drive it steady etc and watch my fuel, its 24 miles each way to work and mostly on duals so a bit of cruise control me thinks :thumb:

My Hybrid is averaging (according to onboard readings) 47mpg but since retirement my journeys average 25 miles per day. Earlier this year in France I was averaging 55mpg.
Not bad really for such a large car.

My E240 V6 does 17mpg pure urban, and 28-30mpg on the motorway @70mph

Do not forget at this time of year your MPG will generally go down.

And for more reasons than some might think.

The cold temperatures mean extended warm up times, increased rolling resistance of the tires and although it won't impact noticeably at urban speeds significantly, increased drag due to denser air. That last bit might not sound very plausible but the density of air increases 7.3 % between 20 Deg C and O deg C and aerodynamic drag increases in the same proportion. I found that figure hard to believe and even sat down with the equation for drag (0.5 x area x drag coefficient x density x velocity squared) and for any given speed it appears to increase drag in proportion to the air density. A 70 MPH overcoming drag absorbs the majority of engine power so it must a have an impact on MPG. On top of all that petrol is several percent lower in caloric value because the winter blends contain lighter fraction to increase volatility. I Don't know that diesel has summer and winter blends so it may be more consistent in caloric value.

All in all it would be surprising if winter MPG didn't drop by 10% or more.

At the end of your trip, what's the average MPG on your trip computer?

I have an E320 petrol & for obvious reasons only use it for runs of 40 miles or more.[have a cheap runaround & am retired]
It seems to average 27 mpg for these runs, but on motorways seems more economical cruising between 70/80 mph when it shows around 32mpg!

My 2011 220 has averaged just over 50mpg over 285k miles, a lot of that motorway miles. A trip into central London and back home again, totalling 180 miles or so, would average about 45mpg.

They do improve with mileage, the sweet spot for these is about 100k when they seem to be run in nicely.

I get about 21mpg at the moment...but have had over 50,mpg.

I get an average of 42MPG in my E350. However I do buy Shell V Power Diesel for it. On Supermarket fuel I get 37.

2014 E220.

35mpg in London traffic now when is cold.
50mpg on motorways sticking to 70-80mph.
Just back from Europe; 2000 miles, average 42mpg with loaded car and most of the time 100+ mph :)

Last edited:
And for more reasons than some might think.

The cold temperatures mean extended warm up times, increased rolling resistance of the tires and although it won't impact noticeably at urban speeds significantly, increased drag due to denser air. That last bit might not sound very plausible but the density of air increases 7.3 % between 20 Deg C and O deg C and aerodynamic drag increases in the same proportion. I found that figure hard to believe and even sat down with the equation for drag (0.5 x area x drag coefficient x density x velocity squared) and for any given speed it appears to increase drag in proportion to the air density. A 70 MPH overcoming drag absorbs the majority of engine power so it must a have an impact on MPG. On top of all that petrol is several percent lower in caloric value because the winter blends contain lighter fraction to increase volatility. I Don't know that diesel has summer and winter blends so it may be more consistent in caloric value.

All in all it would be surprising if winter MPG didn't drop by 10% or more.
Very interesting reading, that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom