E class pre MOT brake stuff

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

W1ghty

MB Enthusiast
Joined
Jun 27, 2020
Messages
5,721
Location
Sunny Essex
Car
E320cdi and CLK200
IMG_2736.jpegIMG_2738.jpegIMG_2741.jpegIMG_2740.jpegBeen a busy few days with the E class . I took the rear calipers off and changed the pistons because the original ones are a plasticky compound that apparently swell with heat and age . I changed the dust covers and internal seal as well . I did split one new dust seal with a screwdriver when bedding it on so had to wait a couple of days for a new one to turn up .
Last year I had an advisory for rubber brake hose perishing so I took this opportunity to change all 4 at the same time . Three went without an issue , but one of the fronts rounded off the nut so it took an hour to file down the 11mm nut to 10mm so I could get a smaller spanner on it . With a bit of freeze spray and more penetrating fluid it finally worked .
I cleaned up and lubed both front and rear level sensors with ACF50 .
Cleaned the bodywork slots in the front wheel wells that can collect dirt and grit .
Adjusted and regreased both front wheel bearings .
Stuck the summer alloys back on with new Goodyear Assymetric 5’s all round.
Because the weather was so nice I managed a quick pint at the local pub after a walk on the last 3 days as well .
If I charged by the hour I would have earn’t a fortune .
 
View attachment 155628View attachment 155629View attachment 155630View attachment 155631Been a busy few days with the E class . I took the rear calipers off and changed the pistons because the original ones are a plasticky compound that apparently swell with heat and age . I changed the dust covers and internal seal as well . I did split one new dust seal with a screwdriver when bedding it on so had to wait a couple of days for a new one to turn up .
Last year I had an advisory for rubber brake hose perishing so I took this opportunity to change all 4 at the same time . Three went without an issue , but one of the fronts rounded off the nut so it took an hour to file down the 11mm nut to 10mm so I could get a smaller spanner on it . With a bit of freeze spray and more penetrating fluid it finally worked .
I cleaned up and lubed both front and rear level sensors with ACF50 .
Cleaned the bodywork slots in the front wheel wells that can collect dirt and grit .
Adjusted and regreased both front wheel bearings .
Stuck the summer alloys back on with new Goodyear Assymetric 5’s all round.
Because the weather was so nice I managed a quick pint at the local pub after a walk on the last 3 days as well .
If I charged by the hour I would have earn’t a fortune .
Good effort!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom