E Class S213 / W213 Underbody Jacking Point Locations ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Car
E220d Estate S213 2017
Hi Folks,
My 1st post apart from Introduction, so... be gentle 😷🤣
I am aware of jacking points on sides of car and would like to put Axle Stands on these areas when taking a wheel off rather than try and get stands under the car to less secure locations.

Have invested in a 3 tonne long reach Jack which can lift whole front or rear, so need to know exact locations to eliminate any weak spots etc. Have small 2 Tonne Jack but won't lift side enough to get stands under anywhere, hence the safe upgrade.

Car is March 2017 Estate btw.

T I A 😷👍

Hello and welcome.

I don't have an S213 so I am assuming that the jacking points on yours are much the same as my S212.
To jack the car using the jacking points you will need rubber or metal jack pads that will fit on the trolley jack plate and into the jacking slots on your Merc. I have an aluminium jack pad which fits perfectly into the MB slot and fits tightly into the cup on my trolley jack.

When I am jacking my car to take one wheel off but not to put any part of me under the car -- say just to change a wheel, I just leave it on the trolley jack.
If I am doing a job that entails part or all of me under the car, I put the wheel & tyre under the body, two axle stands under suspension parts and lower the jack slightly to make sure that the load is spread across the jack and the axle stands (but not low enough to have any weight on the wheel & tyre under the body).
I would also chock the wheels.

If I am getting under the car I have two ramps, railway sleepers and solid concrete blocks and, of course, the wheels are still on the car.

It is rare to need to have two wheels off the car at the same time -- I don't think I have never done it.

There is a plate in the centre of the front of the car (under the engine location) which can be used for jacking -- I have never used it. You can see it by looking under the front of the car and it juts out from the undertrays. You could jack the car up using that and then put the axle stands under the jacking points and lower the car onto them. The downside of that is that they won't have the correct jack pads and so might not be very secure. The top of my axle stands have a slight 'U' shape which fits perfectly under the end of a suspension arm but not into the jacking location.
People also jack their MBs up at the rear by placing the jack under the back axle. Again, I have never done that.

The bottom line is to be extremely careful and don't take any risks.

Hi Folks,
My 1st post apart from Introduction, so... be gentle 😷🤣
I am aware of jacking points on sides of car and would like to put Axle Stands on these areas when taking a wheel off rather than try and get stands under the car to less secure locations.

Have invested in a 3 tonne long reach Jack which can lift whole front or rear, so need to know exact locations to eliminate any weak spots etc. Have small 2 Tonne Jack but won't lift side enough to get stands under anywhere, hence the safe upgrade.

Car is March 2017 Estate btw.

T I A 😷👍
For anyone else who has an S213 E Class the front jacking point is still there Front Centre where front 2 plastic covers split.

I asked at MOT whilst on elevated ramp to have a look, hence why I'm sure. Rear I will stick with raising both wheels by towbar or rear towing hook area if no towbar fitted.

Axle stands on side jacking points if raising car this way to do brake, paint calipers etc. Electronic rear parking brake winds out to release pads, so prob best doing both same time.

1612801283636.png

This type of thing is the norm if your gar has the 'slotted' recess in the sills. be aware different sizes available, and different quality. Mine is a C class and I have had all 4 wheels off the ground on stands during maintenance, do able , but not really recommended without the correct kit.

'Axle stands' is a bit of a misnomer these days, few cars have axles, using the centre jack point beneath the engine is a great way of getting the car up in a position to put it on stands as long as you have a trolley jack of low enough profile to reach it without hitting the lower valance/bumper first.

Not sure about the lifting by tow bar method, new one on me. Using the diff is common , unless it has an heat exchanger/cooling fin on it like mine has.

View attachment 108609

This type of thing is the norm if your gar has the 'slotted' recess in the sills. be aware different sizes available, and different quality. Mine is a C class and I have had all 4 wheels off the ground on stands during maintenance, do able , but not really recommended without the correct kit.

'Axle stands' is a bit of a misnomer these days, few cars have axles, using the centre jack point beneath the engine is a great way of getting the car up in a position to put it on stands as long as you have a trolley jack of low enough profile to reach it without hitting the lower valance/bumper first.

Not sure about the lifting by tow bar method, new one on me. Using the diff is common , unless it has an heat exchanger/cooling fin on it like mine has.
Lifting my car by Diff is not recommended hence towbar or built in tow eye etc. I am aware of these pads and work well but already used my 3 tonne low level floor jack on sides before without any need for them and even some Mechanics say they risk slipping, so never use them as car has built in plastic surround that protects paint etc. Not needed for underneath front of car to raise both wheels. The ones specifically for axle (Jack) stands look ok to use also on side jacking points if working under car with jack left under front of car for extra safety but again these are not a necessity and if bought need to be of a specific grade of rubber to be safe. Too many cheap versions about.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210208-170310.jpg
    Screenshot_20210208-170310.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 4
  • Screenshot_20210208-170249.jpg
    Screenshot_20210208-170249.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 3
Lifting the rear is tricky, these work really well but are spenny.

Lifting the rear is tricky, these work really well but are spenny.
Yes I saw a Y T video about them. Too expensive to Justify unless using them all the time. No1 item to purchase for Diy is a decent 3T low level floor/trolly jack + 3T (per Jack stand) stands.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom