E Class SBC (brakes) concern on W211 pre-facelift.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

supereagle

Car
Mercedes Benz
Dear all,
I'm looking forward to buying a W211 (E Class) pre-facelift (2003 to 2006). I've heard that there are concerns about the Bosch SBC (sensotronic brake control) module. Should I buy a mint W211 E Class or drop the idea because of such concerns?

I've also heard that if problems do occur with the Bosch SBC braking system, it is quite expensive to fix.

Please help. Thanks and regards.

It's not a fault as such, just that the SBC has a finite life.

Expect to pay no more than £800-900 to replace, the unit can be had for about £500 on its own iirc.

Brakes are best available, but like you have heard costs of refurb unit change are somewhere 1000-2000£. You will never know do you need to change it (even changed unit may fail after few years). On the other hand if someone needs to change conventional ABS unit its not much cheaper. Only SBC fails bit more often because of calculated life time.

I personally wouldn't let the Sbc put you off, It saved me once on the a12, unbelievable system.

I just make sure I have X amount put aside if the unit ever did need replacing, im more than willing to pay for the replacement on my car if ever it went.

Don't let it faze you, just budget for it's possible replacement. Not much more than a set of premium brand tyres and cheaper over it's service life than many other service items

Agree, don't let it put you off unduly, but obviously make sure its not throwing any SBC warnings on the dash before you buy.

I'd also make a point of researching your local indies and having a chat to one you plan to use before purchasing anything. a good honest Indi is essential should you have issues, you need somebody with a Star machine. if you ask nice they may even download a MB service history of the Star if you ask nice.

BTW I have a 2009 post facelift W211 (E320 cdi sport), fab car, a joy to drive, if you can find a nice example with a few options go for it but as with any 2nd hand car budget for a bit of service/repair when you first get it.

Worth editing your profile and including a broad location, folks will often make recommendations based on where you are.

I wasn't sure what to think myself about SBC pump. Expensive to fix, often to replace. What's going on?
The time came to get myself e55.
Went onto the straight and empty bit of road. Up to 100 and then slammed the brakes.
I've thought my eyeballs literally going to pop out.
Then I've realised what all this fuss was about.
£1000+ to replace? No problem.
Well worth it.

SBC is an amazing system - well worth the money.

Brakes are very good although they can get a bit hot a bit too quick as they are not floating 2 piece - although they are not floating 2 piece money either!

Put my SBC to road test yesterday... some m***n was overtaking a truck in mid of curve, I had to make full braking (I was driving 100km/h) and steer side of the road (avoiding get my wheels off the asphalt). Afterwards when my heart beat rate was normalized, I had to wonder how balanced car behavior was during full brake and turning maneuver...

What is sbc? Did my c63 have it?

What is sbc? Did my c63 have it?

It's an electro-hydraulic braking system, fly-by-wire 'Sensotronic'

Used on the McLaren SLR, early W211 E-class, 219 CLS, R230 SL and a few others (Maybach)

No your C63 didn't have it.

It's an electro-hydraulic braking system, fly-by-wire 'Sensotronic'

Used on the McLaren SLR, early W211 E-class, 219 CLS, R230 SL and a few others (Maybach)

No your C63 didn't have it.

Thanks. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom