E-Class seating position/lumbar issues

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CaineisCarter

Car
E-Class Cabriolet
Evening all

I’ve had my 2018 E-Class since December, and have always found it comfortable to sit in. It went in for some work recently, and someone at the garage changed my seating position.

When I tried to rearrange it to my liking, I discovered the 4-way lumbar support. Long story short, I have now fallen into an abyss of never ending adjustment, with the entire seat set high, low, forwards and backwards, tilted, straight, you get the idea...

I know it’s a bit silly asking other people what is the best driving position, but this is now driving me up the wall. I remember when I had a Cayman, I found it intolerable until someone showed me a Porsche video about setting up the driving position correctly. I followed the instructions and at first, it seemed very unfamiliar but I fairly quickly adjusted to it and then found it excellent. Does anyone have any tips as to how I can find a position again that doesn’t wreck my lower back?

Thanks in hope!

I find having quite an upright backrest with the squab tilted slightly up at the front pushes the small of my back into the lumbar support pad. I find this gives good support. I also make sure my left leg extends to the foot rest when driving so you’re not twisting with one leg extended to the throttle pedal or brake and the other leg bent.

Thanks. Do you have your seat set low down or high? I’ve just watched two YouTube videos which contradict each other on this.

Thanks. Do you have your seat set low down or high? I’ve just watched two YouTube videos which contradict each other on this.

I would say quite low, in that I’m only 5 ft 8 and it’s closer to the lower setting than the top. I played around with the height to get a balance between visibility - my eye line is about half way up the side window - and comfort with the arm rests. So when “cruising” I tend to hold the wheel at 4 o’clock and 8 o’clock and my arms are nicely supported by both arm rests. I can just about see the lower points of the star at the end of the bonnet. I use this to help reset the seat height if my wife has been it - I don’t have memory seats in mine.

I have now fallen into an abyss of never ending adjustment

This made me chuckle as I recently experienced the same conundrum. My solution? I dealt with it on the drive from London to Glasgow and once my position began to cause discomfort to various parts on my anatomy, I would make adjustments until, voila! my position had returned. FWIW, I always find myself making micro adjustments to my seating position. I like to sit higher and more upright in urban environments, where I am more likely to encounter obstacles and require visibility for maneuvers, that the low and set back position that I like to adopt for motorway driving.

I would start low to begin with and work my way upwards, gradually. Also,l I find that the base shouldn't be tilted too high nor too low. That causes discomfort to my knees and ankles, respectively. The tilting head restraint (a feature of my 2003 S211) is very useful for me.

Finally, I nice tip that I picked up is to save the favourite position in two of the three memory options, in case one is adjusted in error.

I never found the seats that comfortable on the S211, S212 but the S213 seem much better to me especially leg support.

In the Lotus. Get in (never easy with the roof on) and sit down. Fixed carbon bucket seats so no adjustment to worry about!

This website may help
How to Adjust Seating to the Proper Position While Driving

I used to have the same problem in my last car so I made sure I had memory seats this time round!

About 15 years ago, I had a Dodge Durango (5.7L Hemi V8:cool::cool:) and each driver had their own key. The key set the seats, wing mirrors, radio station, steering, foot pedals (yes adjustable), a/c. The only thing for the driver to do, was set the rearview mirror.

Thanks for all the replies. I still cannot get into a comfortable position, and I’m increasingly convinced it’s the cause of my lower back pain. The adjustable lumbar support is either too much or nothing at all, and it seems to offer no support at all in the very lower area of my back. It’s frankly really getting me down. I may have to resort to some kind of aftermarket support, which I resent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom