E Class Suspension Grease Points

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

chesterpiglet

Car
Mercedes W211 E280 Cdi Sport Estate
Just had new front springs & top mounts fitted........... all was well & car drove nicely but the garage advised the tracking needed checking due to uneven tyre wear & steering wheel slightly off centre. This was done on a Hunter 4 wheel alignment machine but I noticed that the technician had to use heat to get a couple of adjustment bolts undone. It crossed my mind that "I hope that isn't going to melt something". Anyway off I went but a squeal has developed every time I go over a bump which is worse going around a left hand bend when the front tyre is under load. When parking the squealing continues. Just drove 550 miles to France & it is getting worse. Fairly new MOT(for what it's worth) so I'm assuming ball joints etc are ok. How/what do I lubricate? Many thanks.

Check the brake shield isn't too close to the disc, quite possibly the alignment chap has caught it during his adjustments and pushed it too close.

Thanks- I will check it over the weekend & post what I discover.

Thanks- I will check it over the weekend & post what I discover.
I can’t see your post re what you discovered?

Using heat to adjust tracking: I have observed twice in the past that ‘ technicians’ in certain Quick Tit branches cba to undo track rod end locknuts and fire up the torch to get them to redhot and wrench the rod with the giant mole grips to adjust! Probably unrelated but couple of years ago a track rod end broke off completely while driving on a straight road at 30mph. That was interesting getting it to Star Motors. .

I can’t see your post re what you discovered?

Using heat to adjust tracking: I have observed twice in the past that ‘ technicians’ in certain Quick Tit branches cba to undo track rod end locknuts and fire up the torch to get them to redhot and wrench the rod with the giant mole grips to adjust! Probably unrelated but couple of years ago a track rod end broke off completely while driving on a straight road at 30mph. That was interesting getting it to Star Motors. .
Apologies for the delay in replying............. I didn't post what I discovered for fear of public ridicule! I visited my Old Skool mechanic who told me to soak everything in water(which I did- coupled with driving in Monsoon conditions that weekend)which did fix the squeaking although it has since returned(I never seem to drive in deluges anymore & soaking everything with the hose doesn't work). Spring has just arrived in France so will be driving with the windows open & the noise is quite loud I'd better get it fixed(whatever it is)or not............................

Apologies for the delay in replying............. I didn't post what I discovered for fear of public ridicule! I visited my Old Skool mechanic who told me to soak everything in water(which I did- coupled with driving in Monsoon conditions that weekend)which did fix the squeaking although it has since returned(I never seem to drive in deluges anymore & soaking everything with the hose doesn't work). Spring has just arrived in France so will be driving with the windows open & the noise is quite loud I'd better get it fixed(whatever it is)or not............................
Ive got poly bushes on my Alfa and find they can squeak in the summer but easily cured with some silicone spray lube

Cyclists speak highly of TF2 or the WD40 equivalent.
Weldtite Unisex's Head TF2 Ultimate Smart Spray, Green, 400ml : Amazon.co.uk: Automotive

817dvLLQn1L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom