E-Class Thefts

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

smartbrabus

Car
Honda Integra Type-R (DC2)
http://www.thisislondon.com/news/londonnews/articles/14276224?source=Evening Standard

Mercedes thieves armed with a tow truck
By Rebecca Mowling Crime Reporter, Evening Standard
26 October 2004

A gang of professional criminals has stolen millions of pounds of cars - simply by lifting them off the streets with a tow-away truck.

And these thieves are not interested in just any old cars. They have been specifically targeting E-Class Mercedes Benz worth up to £62,000 each.

The gang operates in west London and has stolen more than 40 Mercedes since August. It strikes at night, using a low-lifter vehicle to move the car out of its parking space - often outside the owner's home - without causing a disturbance.

One detective said: "We believe they have tools which enable them to break into the cars with minimum disruption. The vehicles are then lifted on to a low-lifter or into the back of a lorry and taken to a destination in London."

He added: "There is no glass left at the scene, suggesting there is little damage to the car.

"The thefts always take place in the middle of the night in quiet, well-lit, residential streets close to the main arterial routes including the North Circular and M4 which provide an easy getaway."

Having identified the pattern of thefts in Ealing, officers believe it is possible that neighbouring boroughs are being targeted in a similar way.

Once they are stolen, the Mercedes are shipped in containers to Europe or West Africa where there is a thriving market for used top-of-the range cars and where middlemen proceed to sell them on to unsuspecting customers.

Scotland Yard is now working with Europol and the National Criminal Intelligence Service to catch the culprits, and details of the stolen vehicles have been circulated throughout Europe. This summer members of

another criminal gang who masterminded a £6million international car- theft ring were convicted. The "Gone In 60 Seconds" gang, whose trademark was ultra-fast theft, had stolen 144 top-of-the range cars including Mercedes, BMWs, Porsches and a Maserati.

Within days of being stolen, the cars would be shipped to Dubai before being sold on. They later emerged in countries including Pakistan, South Africa and Malaysia.

Meanwhile, in west London the Motor Vehicle Crime Squad has been conducting extensive houseto-house inquiries to try to establish whether there are any links between where the victims bought their cars, or where they have them serviced.

A Metropolitan Police spokesman said: "We are appealing for witnesses who have seen something suspicious or someone acting suspiciously in and around Mercedes vehicles in their area to contact us. Perhaps you have been woken up by the sound of a tow truck late at night. If so, did you get a good look at the occupants? Can you remember the registration or colour of the vehicle?

"Have you seen anyone taking an interest in your or your neighbou r ' s E- Class Mercede s recently?"

Anyone with information should contact Crimestoppers on 0800 500111.

Could be an inside job, never did trust those MB salesmen. You could always tie tin cans to your parked car.
PS does the E stand for easy.

gary

scotth_uk said:
Anyone remember the keys in Gone in 60 Seconds? ;-)

Good film,
The only car they could not steal was..... The E-class.

As soon as the vehicle leaves the ground that motion trembler will let rip. The car is only good for scrapping and selling the parts (very attractive indeed)

I thought the only way to actually drive the E-class was with the actual key????

Regards,
John

glojo I thought the only way to actually drive the E-class was with the actual key???? Regards said:
Yes, most probably, though as they are lifting them presumably when they get to their destination, the system is replaced (or keys acquired via underground channels). Or the car simply sold as parts (no tagging that way).

The motion detector can be disabled on the dash? and as MB don't fit dead locks as a matter of policy, then it's easy to open the doors to disable it. (perhaps why MBs are being targeted?)

On my W210 e class I had a button to disable to lift alarm. I don't appear to on my new W211 E class.

Marc

Isn't it one of the buttons by the rear view mirror Marc? I don't have the panoramic roof and its there.

marc777 said:
On my W210 e class I had a button to disable to lift alarm. I don't appear to on my new W211 E class.

Marc

Hi Marc,
This might not be the best place to discuss this topic but page 84 of your manual will put you right.

The E-class has a clas 1 Thatcham alarm system and if you want re-assurance about how safe your car is then I recommend 'Gone in 60 seconds' Yes it is fiction, yes it is just entertainment, but they still (steal) could not steal the E-class. :)

Regards,
John

I sounds like there is a gang in London that know how to steal them though! Even if it is by using a low-lifter.

RichardM said:
Isn't it one of the buttons by the rear view mirror Marc? I don't have the panoramic roof and its there.

yeah , our 2004 model has it there too

Yeah but , no but, yeah but, it isnt the new E'classes they are after but the old W124's and W123's to be shipped to Nigeria and the like.

Once again the snoozepaper has got the article **** about face.

Well bug*er me. I've had the car 2 years and never noticed them!

Thanks Richard!

Marc

Sp!ke said:
Yeah but , no but, yeah but, it isnt the new E'classes they are after but the old W124's and W123's to be shipped to Nigeria and the like.

Once again the snoozepaper has got the article **** about face.

:D Totally agree. Journalist come in door, truth go out wndow!!!
John Shorter 2004A.D.

uumode said:
Hmm I found this
http://www.studios92.com/guide/locksmith.htm
Mr Don doesn't need a lifter to do an E-Class takeway :crazy:

Those keys are NOT for the E-class. I wish they were at those prices. They are for the older Mercedes-Benz that actually have the 'intelligent' metal ignition keys.

"""""Now using the latest technology, we can come to the vehicle cut new keys and reprogram the immobiliser system so the owner can get back on the road with the minimum delay """"""

You cannot CUT an E-class key :confused: :confused:

Regards,
John

uumode said:
I'm not disputing that, but this place 'appears' to offer such a service
http://www.autolocks.com/lvsqcode.htm

I will give you ten out of ten for effort but please.... this is an American site that is offering to CUT yes cut a new key for $35. TWENTY POUNDS for a new E-class?? :D :D

You obviously have a thing about getting a key cut for an E-class so I will graciously accept that somehow this firm can somehow 'cut' the key??? I just do NOT know how you CUT this very complex piece of electronic wizardy that is called a 'key' There is technical highly secure information programmed into the memory.

Sorry it's not a key cutting shop, it's a cobblers :confused: :confused:

Good luck,
John

glojo said:
I will give you ten out of ten for effort but please.... this is an American site that is offering to CUT yes cut a new key for $35. TWENTY POUNDS for a new E-class?? :D :D

You obviously have a thing about getting a key cut for an E-class so I will graciously accept that somehow this firm can somehow 'cut' the key??? I just do NOT know how you CUT this very complex piece of electronic wizardy that is called a 'key' There is technical highly secure information programmed into the memory.

Sorry it's not a key cutting shop, it's a cobblers :confused: :confused:

Good luck,
John

Sorry I thought they used the word 'cut' in legacy sort of way, e.g. rubber, is used to generically describe synthetics, but I'm wrong :eek:

uumode said:
Sorry I thought they used the word 'cut' in legacy sort of way, e.g. rubber, is used to generically describe synthetics, but I'm wrong :eek:

Hi,
;) I want to apologise for what might be going a bit OTT. sorry if I appeared a bit 'bullish' It is nice that we can research a subject and find 'controversial' information.

I'm off to order a set of shoes from the US key cutter (humour this time) :D

Sincere regards,
John

This has been going on for ages & is well known.The www.**********.com site & Daily Telegraph site put our a warning about it December 2003 http://www.**********.com/popup.cfm?p_n=128690&p_i=128690 & one of the local W. London papers had a bit about it September 2004. http://nnet-server.com/server/common/concrime85.htm

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom