E Class V6 Petrol Engines

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ShinyF1

MB Enthusiast
Car
2012 Audi S5 Cab, 2000 E320 CDI Estate [now gone] , 2010 Mini Cooper Convertible
I'm thinking about replacing the trusty S210 and fancy a rare petrol V6, either in late facelift S211 or early very rare S212 E350 guise. Is there anything to be concerned about with the engines in these models? Would a very late S211 be a better bet than an early S212?

Would be glad to hear the experiences of any forum members running a V6 350 petrol.

Thanks

Sean

I have 350 V6 in my SLK, nice unit, smooth, plenty fast enough

I think it's a 3.5l petrol V6 in the S212, and assume the same engine in the last of the s211s?

I've got an early S212 with the V6 petrol engine and I love it. From what I understand the engine was slightly uprated in the move from w211 to w212 - a bit more power and less emissions. The only problem I've had with the car was due to a failing battery - which I replaced for £125. If you can find one I don't think you'll regret it!

The M272 has its issues - at least in its early guise-- with timing chain/harmonic balancer gears--- pretty much covered in the M272 engine thread. One notable change was a switch from indirect to direct petrol injection CGI around 2006 for some models.

Mercedes-Benz M272 engine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It was replaced by the M276 60 degree v6 [therefore no balancer shaft required] in 2010.

Your problem will be finding a decent car with a V6 petrol engine to buy as they were pretty thin on the ground and eventually discontinued in the ECLASS in the UK-- That's why the best user info on these engines originates in the USA.

Have MB made a good job of direct petrol injection? BMW struggled with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom