E Class W207 A207 AIRCAP not retracting

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Richpu

Car
CLK 350 Cabrio
Hi All,
I have an E500 Convertible and the aircap has started to play up. when retracting it gets about half way closed and then extends again. have searched all over but all the reports are go to Mercedes and they will replace for over £1000 it would seem.
Well as it was a nice day I took a look at mine. I removed the aircap from the car as per the following link
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
when I had it on the bench I was able to remove the motor section. very simple issue, corrosion on one of the arms was stopping the locking pins sliding out when it was retracting and it was causing the pin that moves to hit the locking arm at the wrong point. you will see this in the attached picture
provided lots of oil on the joints and all working again.
aircap repair.JPG

hope this is of use to people. any questions just shout

Regards,
RichPu

Hi All,
I have an E500 Convertible and the aircap has started to play up. when retracting it gets about half way closed and then extends again. have searched all over but all the reports are go to Mercedes and they will replace for over £1000 it would seem.
Well as it was a nice day I took a look at mine. I removed the aircap from the car as per the following link
when I had it on the bench I was able to remove the motor section. very simple issue, corrosion on one of the arms was stopping the locking pins sliding out when it was retracting and it was causing the pin that moves to hit the locking arm at the wrong point. you will see this in the attached picture
View attachment 85504

Regards,
RichPu
Hi imhave the same problem. Do you have some more pictures? Thx

Hi All,
View attachment 85504

Regards,
RichPu

i have the same problem. Do you have some more pictures ? Thx

Hallo i have the Same Problem. Do you have some more pictures how to do? Thx

Hi, can this be lubricated without dismantling ?

Thank you for this! That is exactly what I was looking for. Same as OP I spent hours searching (last year) only to find 'needs replacing for £1000+'. Or one person suggesting a software update would do it?

@thebook did you need to remove it completely to access the offending pin? Where is this pin located. Apologies if this is a silly question, the previous owner disconnected it and I've not yet been brave enough to put it back up and take a look.

Thanks

Hi everyone,

seems that I have a slightly different manifestation of this pin problem.

new to me 2011 e550 came with the aircap stuck closed. after some research I saw some people managed to lube and help it open which I did. it seems like the pins were preventing it from opening. however. now that it cleared the pins it doesn't seem to retract completely flush around the edges but rather stays propped up a few millemeters because the pins are in the way

also, it seems that after it opens fully it closes automatically in a few seconds. that is another problem. which could be related. i wonder if it just closes when it detects a failure in that mechanism

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom