E-Class (W210) SRS and Airbag Light

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave K

Car
E320 CDi (W210)
Our E320 CDI (W210) has developed a problem with the safety system. Without a passenger in the passenger seat, the "AIRBAG OFF" light and SRS light are both illuminated. As soon as someone gets into the passenger seat, both lights go out. When the passenger gets out, both lights come back on. Clearly the passenger seat pressure pad is working. I'm trying to understand just what logic would make the lights come on when there is nobody in the passenger seat (i.e. what could possibly be faulty without a passenger but isn't faulty with a passenger). It would make more sense if it were the other way around (i.e. lights come on with somebody was sitting in the passenger seat). Any thoughts anyone?

yes the pressure pad is a common fault... Its £73 from memory and can be fitted if you have enough patience as getting the seaty cover off is a little tricky!

But surely the pressure pad is working OK if the SRS and airbag lights come on/off depending on whether or not somebody is sitting in the passenger seat?

Dave, how did you fix the fault?

Mine comes on unpredictably at the journey's outset whether or not the passenger seat is occupied, but always goes out and stays out of its own accord. Odd.

Dave K said:
But surely the pressure pad is working OK if the SRS and airbag lights come on/off depending on whether or not somebody is sitting in the passenger seat?

There is a break in the line for empty seat. The occupied seat line uses a different wire.

I replaced the sensor pad. Part was about £70. MB wanted £250ish labour so I did it myself. 10 minutes to get the seat out, about an hour to work out how to disassemble it, an hour ro remove the leather/take out the old pad/modify the seat foam to stry and stop it happeneing again/fit the new sensor/refit the leather, half an hour to re-assemble, and 10 minutes to re-fit the seat. Result - problem cured :bannana:

Birdman said:
Dave, how did you fix the fault?

Mine comes on unpredictably at the journey's outset whether or not the passenger seat is occupied, but always goes out and stays out of its own accord. Odd.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom