E-Class (W210) Wing Mirror Glass Removal

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave K

Car
E320 CDi (W210)
The self dimming glass on the drivers side wing mirror (outdated term - door mirror is more appropriate) on my W210 E-Class has started to peel/fog. I therefore need to replace it. Does anyone know how to remove and refit the glass? It's a 2000 facelift W210 with folding/dimming mirrors.

Many thanks in advance.

Dave K said:
The self dimming glass on the drivers side wing mirror (outdated term - door mirror is more appropriate) on my W210 E-Class has started to peel/fog. I therefore need to replace it.
Did you get a quote for it yet? Sit down when you speak to the parts dept! :(

Just called them. I'm glad you warned me to be sitting down. £178.49 + VAT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I told them I wanted the glass, not the whole bloody door. I may go for the non dimming version at £43.72 + VAT. Still a rip-off but more palletable.

Does anyone know if its possible to fit a dimming mirror on the passenger side as well?

mickeymacs said:
Does anyone know if its possible to fit a dimming mirror on the passenger side as well?
Of course! :)

I have a set of power folding, dimming, indicating mirrors in a box here from my previous car, they were supplied by Steve "MBenzNL" and are from NL/DE therefore dimming on the wrong side ;) . I looked into converting the driver's side mirror into dimming too, all it needs is the mirror glass and some wiring. I will start work on this soon-ish, but it requires me to buy that expensive mirror first...

Shude said:

I have a set of power folding, dimming, indicating mirrors in a box here from my previous car, they were supplied by Steve "MBenzNL" and are from NL/DE therefore dimming on the wrong side ;) . I looked into converting the driver's side mirror into dimming too, all it needs is the mirror glass and some wiring. I will start work on this soon-ish, but it requires me to buy that expensive mirror first...

Oooh - keep us posted. I am interested in converting my standard drivers door mirror to auto-dimming.

Some total **** coming down half my side of the road has just shattered my Drivers side mirror glass into oblivion, rung MB as couldn't quite believe the figure above but nope confirmed as £181 plus VAT for a piece of glass!!!! I can't believe MB can get away with this sort of daylight robbery.

I am so incensed I feel like bombarding Watchdog until they agree to take up the case and highlight this criminal price for parts, how can a £3 bit of glass plus some chemical work out at over £200 to the customer is beyond me, still I suppose just proves why despite how much I love my MB I don't think I will ever buy another!

nictry said:
Some total **** coming down half my side of the road has just shattered my Drivers side mirror glass into oblivion, rung MB as couldn't quite believe the figure above but nope confirmed as £181 plus VAT for a piece of glass!!!! I can't believe MB can get away with this sort of daylight robbery.

I am so incensed I feel like bombarding Watchdog until they agree to take up the case and highlight this criminal price for parts, how can a £3 bit of glass plus some chemical work out at over £200 to the customer is beyond me, still I suppose just proves why despite how much I love my MB I don't think I will ever buy another!
You could always buy the cheaper standard (non-dimming) glass (which is still about £50 :( )

Well great fun with MB dealers over the weekend, had agreed to order in the non-dipping part, also when I went in I left the remains of the mirror with the parts guy as he assured me new part would be in the next day. Anyway went in and what they suppliued me with was just a mirror! What I mean is that there were no 'working parts' on it, I suggested they might have ordered the wrong bit so they rung another branch and said oh they have a different part can you go over there so 30 miles later and they present me with the same mirror!!!

Luckily the parts bloke there was more switched on and he confirmed the mirror was correct but the 'motor' was missing and this was a separate part! I explained that the whole mirror (including the motor) was handd over to the parts guy at the first dealer when he confirmed he had ordered a new one! He obviously didn't realise there were 2 pieces, so cutting a long story short I ring the original dealer back and he looks up on the system and says oh yeah I see what you mean and agrees to order the 'motor' to arrive on Tuesday! So I mention that I don't intend to pay for this part as the parts bloke who took the original mirror off me didn't mention that he was chucking away the whole thing instead of just the glass!

I love dealers, the care and attention to detail etc. is second to none!

Also while waiting in the second dealer some lady comes over to me and says she has been sent there by MB to do a customer service survey as they appeared to have concerns that MB customers were not happy recently, needless to say I let her listen to me for 10 minutes explaining just a few of the reasons why customer are probably not happy (including my reason!!!)

Love it got to the dealer this morning and guess what the wrong part ordered again! Only this time parts manager argues with me that it is not the wrong part and stomps off to get the service foreman to 'explain it to me' Anyway he comes out and says straight away they have ordered the wrong part!!!!!

Anyway after a few stroppy looks from the parts guy he comes back from the phone to say they have the part at another dealers (this time ~45 miles away!!!) no offer to get it delivered so I asked him to get it for me as this is the third runaround in as many days! He says can't promise anything but call back at lunchtime!

So after saying thanks for everything went and spoke to the Manager of the branch and said what unbelievable service from a supposidly reputable dealers and if I was thinking about spending 40k+ on one of their cars after this service I would be thinking twice he offers to sort it out get me the part and fit it tomorrow morning FOC (not that it would take more than 5 mins to fit it anyway but it is the thought that counts!)

Phone call tonight confirming part in and is the right one and pop in tomorrow so lets hope this works out ok!

Just goes to back up all the other comments on the forums about how poor MB main dealer customer service is nowadays!

mark.t said:
parts are a iffy subject they get it wrong all the time
I have found parts to be excellent if you do the thinking for them and just ask for actual part numbers.

Remember that the parts dept are seriously slick when it comes to standard air filters and other service stuff, they know the numbers without looking in the book but try to talk through a mod or upgrade with them and they're often stumped.

Parts Prices

nictry said:

Thank your lucky stars you don't have a Lexus, Honda or Toyota!! Makes MB and BMW's part prices look cheap as chips! I once got quoted around £400 for lower balljoints on a Supra or how about £100 for door rubbing mouldings for a 92 carina! My mate just changed his lambda sensor on his 99 Honda Accord the dealers wanted over £300! By the way you could simply get a non dimming mirror from Independent parts dealers. KMS quoted me £27 + VAt for one.

Shude said:

Yes Steve "MBenzNL" also supplied me with the above plus the N/S auto dimming mirror, and Steve in Kent very kindly fitted them for me and does he no his job, they work very well and to have the N/S Mirror auto dimming is very good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom