E class w211 Distronic

Fayiz

Car
e320 cdi
Hello,

I was just wondering, is it possible to change the grill on the w211 without affecting the functionality of the distronic? I just wanted to know since I prefer the look of the AMG grill to the standard grill. Has anyone changed it before?

Thanks.

PobodY

MB Enthusiast
Car
CLK350 Sport
Isn't it just the badge that's different? - To protect the radar unit there's a solid star emblem, whereas without distronic it's an open emblem.

On that basis I think you're OK switching the grill if you keep the solid badge.

Major774

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
W211 E55 AMG
The AMG grille looks like the standard avantgarde grille.

I would not recommend it as the plastic cover protects the radar sensor and will be very expensive to replace if damaged by a stone etc.

Alps

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
E55 2004 Silver, E63 Weistec AMG(SOLD), E55 2004 Silver(SOLD), C36 AMG 1997 (SOLD)
no such thing as the AMG grill, Like Major said, its a standard item.

the grill with the star emblem can be used IF it has a clear window STAR, it does look naff IMO.

stick to the standard item, its the best looking one

PobodY

MB Enthusiast
Car
CLK350 Sport
If you replace the emblem with a solid one, then yes. - IIRC it should just be a bayonet connection, so twist left and swap it over.

(Happy to be corrected on either.)

merc85

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
s211 e55k
Fayiz, If you do change your Std Grille and its Chrome let me know, As i would be interested in Buying it.

OP
OP
F

Fayiz

Car
e320 cdi
If you replace the emblem with a solid one, then yes. - IIRC it should just be a bayonet connection, so twist left and swap it over.

(Happy to be corrected on either.)

Sorry, I didn't quite get what you meant by the solid emblem, would it be possible to link one please.

Thank you.

Merc85, I'll let you know if I change it,

Regards,
Fayiz

PobodY

MB Enthusiast
Car
CLK350 Sport

Solid badge to protect the radar sender. - It looks like there's just a square plate on the back of the "chrome" grill to serve the same purpose.

You can just about see it in this shot:

Last edited:
OP
OP
F

Fayiz

Car
e320 cdi
Ok, thanks, lastly would you be able to provide a part number for the solid emblem so I know which one I need? Thanks.

Mr Filipov

SUPPORTER
Car
2017 BMW 535d Gran Turismo
It is not an item that Mercedes even make to my knowledge. That vintage there was the standard grill for cars with and without distrojic. That is it. Need to find a replacement one designed for cars with distronic. I don't think you can just swap over the distronic protector either as yours should be a square one and placed fairly low on the grill.

CleanShirt

Car
Mercedes E 270 CDI
Glad i found this thread. i'm a 1st time MB owner, e270 cdi 2003. i want to replace my grille with one that takes the LED star logo (seen grille with 'hole' and LED star separate on ebay), but i didnt know about this distronic thing. Phew, luckily i haven't ordered yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom