E class w211 Distronic

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fayiz

Car
e320 cdi
Hello,

I was just wondering, is it possible to change the grill on the w211 without affecting the functionality of the distronic? I just wanted to know since I prefer the look of the AMG grill to the standard grill. Has anyone changed it before?

Thanks.

Isn't it just the badge that's different? - To protect the radar unit there's a solid star emblem, whereas without distronic it's an open emblem.

On that basis I think you're OK switching the grill if you keep the solid badge.

The AMG grille looks like the standard avantgarde grille.

I would not recommend it as the plastic cover protects the radar sensor and will be very expensive to replace if damaged by a stone etc.

no such thing as the AMG grill, Like Major said, its a standard item.

the grill with the star emblem can be used IF it has a clear window STAR, it does look naff IMO.

stick to the standard item, its the best looking one

If you replace the emblem with a solid one, then yes. - IIRC it should just be a bayonet connection, so twist left and swap it over.

(Happy to be corrected on either.)

Fayiz, If you do change your Std Grille and its Chrome let me know, As i would be interested in Buying it.

If you replace the emblem with a solid one, then yes. - IIRC it should just be a bayonet connection, so twist left and swap it over.

(Happy to be corrected on either.)

Sorry, I didn't quite get what you meant by the solid emblem, would it be possible to link one please.

Thank you.

Merc85, I'll let you know if I change it,

Regards,
Fayiz

Mercedes%20-%20W221%20Accessories%20-%20Distronic%20Style%20Grille%20(W221-482832).jpg

Solid badge to protect the radar sender. - It looks like there's just a square plate on the back of the "chrome" grill to serve the same purpose.

You can just about see it in this shot:
radiator-mask-with-distronic-1363882994_4563.jpg

Last edited:
Ok, thanks, lastly would you be able to provide a part number for the solid emblem so I know which one I need? Thanks.

It is not an item that Mercedes even make to my knowledge. That vintage there was the standard grill for cars with and without distrojic. That is it. Need to find a replacement one designed for cars with distronic. I don't think you can just swap over the distronic protector either as yours should be a square one and placed fairly low on the grill.

Glad i found this thread. i'm a 1st time MB owner, e270 cdi 2003. i want to replace my grille with one that takes the LED star logo (seen grille with 'hole' and LED star separate on ebay), but i didnt know about this distronic thing. Phew, luckily i haven't ordered yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom