E class w212 2012 stuck in park ..column shifter

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

matteb63

Car
CL500 W21.....CLS 500 W219 e class w212
so I parked up the 2012 w212 and couple days later came to use it but although it will start and most everything seems to work inside it won't move from park when I use the column transmission shifter.
cruise control and speedtronic faults show up on dash ...disconnected battery for a few hours and tested battery voltage ..dormant 12.3 v and 14v when running engine.
what can I check from here ? wife stuck without the car

Auxillary battery was also good
purchased a new brake switch which made no difference
wondering about the relay in the pre fuse box next to the battery in front engine compartment..

Not sure how you go about testing the relay apart from using a known good one.
May have to get this one diagnosed if both batteries show decent voltage:dk:

Have a look on YouTube and there is a way to put the gearbox back to self learn mode just by holding the throttle down for 30 seconds. Not sure if it will help you but worth trying anyway.

Changed the pre fuse box and still the same so wiggled the front wheel sensor and everything went back to normal for a few mins,changed gear ,all warnings off and then problems again so I ordered in a new sensor and replaced it ..no change ......might have to get it towed after all .will keep trying while looked down then trailer it to the shop

ok tried resetting throttle position an learning mode for transmission...

battery front ..main battery reads...... 12.34 v engine off and 14.79 v engine running
battery rear ..auxillary battery reads..13.20 v engine off and 14.83 v engine running

do these voltages look healthy

Yes; very.

im being too on the other MB forum to replace the battery.....
funny really if it wasn't going to cost me £130 for a new battery

so I parked up the 2012 w212 and couple days later came to use it but although it will start and most everything seems to work inside it won't move from park when I use the column transmission shifter.
cruise control and speedtronic faults show up on dash ...disconnected battery for a few hours and tested battery voltage ..dormant 12.3 v and 14v when running engine.
what can I check from here ? wife stuck without the car
I had the exact same problem with my old 2013 ML350 and it turned out to be the main battery. I would only have the problem first thing in the morning when I tried starting the car for the first time. After driving around for a while, the car would start up no problem.

Mercedes had the car in and did diagnostics on it. I was then shown an internal memo about the known issue, which the service guy would not let me copy, which stated that changing the main battery would fix the problem. It's something to do with the car not believing that the output from the battery was strong enough to put it into drive!! I went on Ebay and found a northern dealer who supplied an Exide AGM battery for about £130. After fitting it the problem went away.

As a test, get an AGM compatible battery charger and charge your battery overnight. If the car starts first time the next morning, as mine did, chances are that a main new battery will fix it.

I charged the battery up overnight and car starts without any problem but still throws all the signals

these are the fault codes that all came up in one go

Attachments

• one.png
    one.png
    118.6 KB · Views: 5
  • Two.png
    Two.png
    145.2 KB · Views: 5
  • Three.png
    Three.png
    112 KB · Views: 4
  • four.png
    four.png
    102.5 KB · Views: 5
  • Five.png
    Five.png
    105.6 KB · Views: 4
  • Screen Shot 2021-03-11 at 16.44.51.png
    Screen Shot 2021-03-11 at 16.44.51.png
    114.1 KB · Views: 5
the main battery is a Yusa YBX5019...100ah 900a..does that sound right ..it has eco start

Had a similar issue on a BMW X5, battery on way out ever so slightly but loads of faults and issues. Cars are so highly sensitive nowadays any slight shift will upset the tolerance.

So I looked at the faults stored and ordered in a new steering squib with gear selecter stalk,speed limiter Stalk and indicator, washer wiper stalk
Removed steering wheel and fitted this squib
this fixed the problem and I was able to wipe all previous faults ..
however I’ve not been able to reset the airbag light
and the eco stop start when green switches engine off at stop ,restarts when I take foot of brake but immediately conks out again...
has anyone else experienced the eco start playing up in this way ?

So I looked at the faults stored and ordered in a new steering squib with gear selecter stalk,speed limiter Stalk and indicator, washer wiper stalk
and the eco stop start when green switches engine off at stop ,restarts when I take foot of brake but immediately conks out again...
Have you managed to get it out of park?
So I've had my E250 2014 parked up since the start of covid as I was using my other car.
Obviously didn't start the first time, so I jumped started it, at first it wont go into gear (column shifter) left it running for an hour it went into drive fine. The following day it wont move at all.
So I changed the brake light switch and the auxiliary battery, still made no difference!
Starts fine but I get a warning "without changing gear, consult workshop" Eco lights up but goes off once started
Does it sound similar?

I heard on other forums, the gearbox module could be faulty?

Have you managed to get it out of park?
So I've had my E250 2014 parked up since the start of covid as I was using my other car.
Obviously didn't start the first time, so I jumped started it, at first it wont go into gear (column shifter) left it running for an hour it went into drive fine. The following day it wont move at all.
So I changed the brake light switch and the auxiliary battery, still made no difference!
Starts fine but I get a warning "without changing gear, consult workshop" Eco lights up but goes off once started
Does it sound similar?
I switched out the steering column squib which healed all the problems and I reset the airbag as you have to remove the steering wheel to access the squib .....a lot easier than I thought it would be. the squib cost me £60 on ebay ..real result..
I might add that I was able to plug in my diagnostic Delphi 150s and was able to access gear box and change gear via computer diagnostic..this told me that nothing wrong with gearbox ..so tested communication in steering and thats what showed up along with a thousand other faults that all come up when the squib goes bad.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom