E Class (W213) impressions after 1 Month use..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MercA

Car
Merc
E Class Estate (W213) impressions after 1 Month use..

Hi All,

I got My E class estate (Grey - SE, Premium Plus, Command, Driving Assist Plus, 360 Camera, Wireless charging..) delivered a day before Tax hike and my impressions are as below...

1. UK Map Update installation stuck @ 67% and no movement after that. Waiting for the dealer call on this now. I have seen same reported in the forum as well. I need to install another 24.7 GB Map download can’t be done until UK Map installation (above issue) is completed.

2. Back seat belt sign is showing for some time while moving away though no one/no item in the back seat at all. Again waiting for Dealer call to look at this.

3. Mercedes Me is not working well with my Galaxy S8 plus, tried many times unlocking/locking but not responding. Was OK with XPERIA Z1 which I used till few weeks ago.

4. NFC unlocking with Smart phone is not working with my Samsung Galaxy S8+ (Android Ver 7). You should be able to get car unlocked without key using phone. Earlier I was told by Merc Me that my XPERIA is not supported. Last week I checked with dealer but Galaxy S8 Plus is not yet in the list!!

5. Digital key not working with Samsung Galaxy S8+ (Android Ver 7) - Not clear this function is same as above. This too not working as Galaxy S8 Plus is not yet in the list of authorised devices!!

6. Remote Parking Pilot: Tried with my new Galaxy S8+ still not got it working completely. Earlier XPERIA was not supported.

7. Distronic cruse control (+ Driving Assist Plus) some times takes random speed (straight to 70 miles in 30 mile limit) not the speed limit that area when the cruse control lever pulled towards steering.

8. Randomly showing vehicle status in Mercedes Me as door opened/boot opened/ window opened though actually all were closed (sometimes in Mercedes Me Phone App, some times in Mercedes Me Web app).

9. Traffic Announcements (TA), live traffic update, X communication all not seems to add any value as haven’t seen any up-to-date data on these.

10. Piano Black central console is getting scratchy fast!!

11. Visibility is bit poor due to front mirror, but have 360 camera.

12. Parking Pilot is not that great in detecting spaces.

13. SE alloy is not that great (A class SE got much better alloy!!)

That doesn't sound like a good start to ownership....

what about the major topics such as, ride/handling, powertrain, reliability etc

Doesn't sound good. Number two is normal, my C class does it ! I found it annoying at first but now I just ignore it..

Gotta agree, sounds like your phone not connecting with the Mercedes me app is your biggest issue.

With regard to #2, as delayed Steve and woodythewise said, it always shows the seat belts for a short period of time on start up. I don't think there are any sensors under the rear seats, so it won't know if anyone's sitting there. (Could be wrong!)

#7, I believe that bringing the cruise stalk towards you just turns it on to the last stored speed doesn't it? That maybe the issue. Try pressing it up one notch? If it works the same as mine, then that puts the cruise on at the speed you're currently travelling at. (Again, from memory, so could be wrong)

Enjoy your car, life's too short :thumb:

As said the rear seats don't have weight sensors like the front, so that message is telling you for your information that there are zero seat belts buckled in the rear. If you know you have passengers in the rear, you can tell them to belt up. If not, ignore it or dismiss it.

Again, number 7, that's not how Merc cruise control works. Pulling towards you resumes a previous speed. Knocking it upwards will start cruise at your current speed.

Seems you just need to read the manual for a lot of the things on the list.

BTW rest all good...

Style, size, Driving assist enjoying. I used to get tired while driving, but no more...

I wish E class had 'roundabout intelligence' like new S class. Now if your car is the first one in a round about and you happened to be 'Auto' mode car will speed up in a the roundabout as no car in front of you..

Didn't find that much difference between different modes...may be I have to drive bit more.

Last edited:
Anyone here using Galaxy S8 with E class for Remote Parking pilot or Digital Key..???

10. Piano Black central console is getting scratchy fast!!

I heard that from someone else too, this may be a really dumb question but is there any way to polish this stuff???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did any other issues found in E class..Looks like B** or Au** is better value for better value for money..

Loving my 220d AMG Line premium, superb car all round
Any issues then let the main dealer fix it, premium brand - insist on premium service

Did we made wrong choice..? B** 5 series & A*** A6 better than W213..??

I love to hear a Negative response!!!

ff

I had some more responses from Mercedes Me Customer Support.

On Communication Module (capable of 3G or 4G)

I can confirm that your vehicle has Hermes UMTS communication module, which is only 3G capable.The type of module was configured when the vehicle was ordered from production by your dealership

2. NFC unlocking/Digital Car Key - this service is not available in the UK yet, but should be launched later this year, probably in October. Compatible are smartphones supporting NFC.

3. Mercedes Me showing wrong status:
We have had several server outages lately and during these times vehicle status was not updated or showed wrong data. The issue is being fixed now and the service should work properly since next week. However, if it still persists, please send us screenshots of both Mercedes me app and web app with exact time, showing the wrong data. We will ask our Technical Department for a specific solution for your vehicle

Last edited:
I also have W213 220d and can report some of the same issues:

#2: As others have said, this is normal. Same in my W212.
#7: For Drive Pilot/Driving Assistance Plus, I assume you are referring to the function which takes speed limit changes from road signs and adjusts cruise speed automatically? I had to switch this off on day 1 as going down the A3 out of London there are lots of 30 limit signs for side roads and off ramps and the car would change speed randomly. Also 50/56 signs on back of trucks would cause it to change speed!
#8: Have also experienced this.
#9: Live traffic update works very well for me. Get reports of lane closures, traffic queues seem to match reality etc.
#12: Agree, this is worse than what I had on my previous W212. It seems too clever for it's own good and I have to press the button! On the W212 if it detected a space and I put it into reverse, it would prompt to auto-park and I just hit OK. The W213 system is far too complicated. I'd have parked it myself by the time I reached over to press the button (on the wrong side of the touchpad) and chosen parking space and parking direction!

Other things I'd add:
- On one occasion the left main beam light failed ON - I could not turn it off and even when I stopped the car, switched off, got out and locked it, it stayed on. When I came out to the car 30 mins later it was off. Never happened again. Someone else reported this on the forum I think.
- On a couple of occasions the Map view has stayed in dark/night mode despite it being bright daylight.
- On a couple of occasions the car reported Drive Pilot features inoperable, sometimes stating "dirt on sensors". They began working after a few minutes. Possibly due to heavy rain.
- I have a prompt "Add 1 litre oil on next fuel refill". The car has done 10,000 miles. Dealer is looking into this on Monday.
- On one occasion, the sunroof would not close fully. Even pressing and holding lock button on key would not return it fully home. Came back an hour later and tried again, sunroof closed fully, no issues. Possible dirt on sensor?

The alloys on the AMG line look the nuts!... when clean!
Other than that, it's a great car!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom