E class wheels cracking

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Warpa

Car
E320 cdi and CLK320 V6
I've been offered some 18 inch twin 10 spoke genuine sports wheels and have been told they are prone to cracking, is this a common issue?

I've been offered some 18 inch twin 10 spoke genuine sports wheels and have been told they are prone to cracking, is this a common issue?
It’s a size thing , the less tyre wall the more pothole impact on the wheel itself . I would think more on the 19+ sizes . I haven’t heard much 18” cracking stories

My 19s have seen a few potholes and uneven surfaces and fingers crossed, all been fine.

Cracked nearside front 19, but didn't deflate, got it welded at metal fabricators £30 sold it on eBay to man in Greece for £100 plus postage, mercedes wanted £600 for new one, eventually bought new £400.

I thought it was the 19s that are prone to cracking

I have absolutely heard this from multiple informed (professional) sources.

17" offer the best balance between comfort, handling and looks, if you have the option.

As above, the bigger the rims, the narrower the sidewalls, so less rubber to protect rims from potholes, kerbs etc. If you have 17s now, stick with them.

Too many variable to carte blanche say they are prone to cracking. Any wheel given the right circumstances can fail. Interestingly many people will be driving around with cracked wheels and wont even realise as they are not losing tyre pressure.

I had a few cracks on my old OEM 19's on my CLS 55 and were only discovered during a tyre change. Bought and fitted aftermarket 20" wheels to it (and also to my current steed), and have had no issues with cracking wheels! So there is no definitive answer to your question.

Personally I would have no issues with fitting those wheels.

For me the five spoke M B Amg, 18s that I've had on 2or3 other E 's I've owned have given the more softer ride and I never cracked any of them. When I bought this current E350, I would have preferred perhaps, the 5 spoke 18s but hey ho! The 19s look the part even if a bit less practical. PS, tyers fo19s are more expensive so, it's up to you. 👍 Take your pick. 🚴

Thanks for the replies, I'll put the 18s on and keep the 17s spare just incase. I'll also source a single spare as I did when I had 22s on my Navara.

Size of wheels wouldn’t make much difference in my area because the roads are bloody awful. Thinking of keeping a pair of ramps in the boot for when I drive in a pothole and can’t drive out ☹
Wait while you’ve got a new smooth gyratory to drift round ;) 😂😂

Thanks for the replies, I'll put the 18s on and keep the 17s spare just incase. I'll also source a single spare as I did when I had 22s on my Navara.

Perhaps utilise the 17" as winter wheels.

I may do that, but that was also the plan with my Navara. I put them on and took them straight back off .

I may do that, but that was also the plan with my Navara. I put them on and took them straight back off .

Is that because you haven't experienced the value of winter tyres for yourself, as of yet?

I had a B Class with 17" wheels and replaced them due to cracks. it's not the wheel size its what roads we drive on. You really need a 4x4 with off road tyres these days :(

I had a B Class with 17" wheels and replaced them due to cracks. it's not the wheel size its what roads we drive on. You really need a 4x4 with off road tyres these days :(

In that instance, the narrow width of the tyre would mean that the profile is very low. My 17" have a profile of 45, proportionate to the 245 width, so quite generous and cushioning.

In that instance, the narrow width of the tyre would mean that the profile is very low. My 17" have a profile of 45, proportionate to the 245 width, so quite generous and cushioning.
My 17" were 245/45/17 and they cracked, as said, I am certain it is the state of the roads.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom