E-Class..Which one?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

paneraiseeker

I'm starting to lean towards buying a new E-Class especially now as its had a rather nice looking facelift, but what engine size should i go for. I'm not worried about fuel consumption as i would imagine they will not be poles apart.

Is the 350 the way forward, do you get more toys thrown in the larger engine size you buy or are they all on the same level regarding toys.

Any feedback welcome.

I dont think there is much difference in 'toys' department between engine types.
You get your SE, which now is quite generously equipped and Sport, which will have few extra 'visual' features.

It is the refinement that will be planets apart between 350 and all other 4-pot engines.

Should of added its the sport that i will buy. Any must have toys.....

Distronic and panoramic roof would be the first two options I'd tick on a new E-Class...

Should of added its the sport that i will buy. Any must have toys.....

Mercedes has always been known for large spectrum of available toys, unfortunately, they most are optional.

You get a command on both SE and Sport now, which is new, other than that, its however much you want to go over the base price.

+1 for the 350cdi for refinement and smiles but I wouldn't bank on it achieving the same or close to the same economy as the 4cyl diesels

What's the distronic?

Radar guided cruise control, it senses the traffic ahead of you and accelerates and brakes accordingly.

The E350 CDI that I had would do well over 50mpg on a run, and late 30's early 40's around town.

Radar guided cruise control, it senses the traffic ahead of you and accelerates and brakes accordingly.

The E350 CDI that I had would do well over 50mpg on a run, and late 30's early 40's around town.

If its anything similar to what I had on my Range Rover Sport then I will pass.

The facelift SE model is very well specced and there's not much to want for. Price has gone up by a chunk compared to the pre-facelift model.

You don't get much more on the AMG Sport and leather is replaced by black synthetic leather, which I found a bit firm. Unfortunately, the E350 is only available in Sport, so that's what I have on order.

I have pano roof but got the call last week to say there is no indicated build date yet, since there is no pano availability at all for the E350 Estate. I'll wait until next week to see if it changes in Q3, but if there's a big impact on delivery time it's going to be off the list. I'll swallow a couple of weeks but no more.

I have dynamic/massage seats (with grey leather), speed limit and traffic sign assist, wood trim, 6CD and laminated safety windows. All of these look good value, except the seats which are bit of a luxury.

Distronic seems nice but it's part of a £2340 package so just seems too expensive to my mind compared with actually looking out of the window and paying attention. You get a warning anyway if you are going to rear end someone as part of the standard package.

Of the two special colours Diamond White looks a rather insipid pale cream to me and I wouldn't spend money on it. Hyacynth Red looks very nice but I understand that availability isn't great.

The 4 pot engines get a bit of a poor review in many places for being a bit grumbly but it wasn't noticable to me on a test drive. E250 would be a good choice if you want and SE but if you are having the AMG Sport you might as well give the ball a kick and have the E350. The 6 pot engine is super but mpg (according to the brochure) is only okay versus very good for the 4 pots.

Last edited:
Mercedes has always been known for large spectrum of available toys, unfortunately, they most are optional.

You get a command on both SE and Sport now, which is new, other than that, its however much you want to go over the base price.

There are few more extras which are available as standard apart from COMMAND (with DAB). You also get Park Assist (the car will parallel park itself), partial LED lights, ultrasonic sensors all round to warn you even if a car on the next lane is too close to you, and the system will recognise the speed and trajectory of moving hazards up to 164 feet away and a twin-stage infra-red detection system will probe the darkness (but not fog), and collision braking system (even if you lightly apply the brake, if you're at risk of colliding, the car will brake harder) - all as standard.

I got the 220 SE in estate form. Coming from a very torquey 3.0 VW Touareg I was pleasantly surprised just how good the 220 engine is. OK, it doesn't sound like the V6 but is perfectly good enough for my fairly light right foot, rides superbly well too. Just done 250 miles of mixed driving over the weekend, (motorway to country lanes) and averaged 47mpg overall. The standard LED/Halogen combination headlights I find to be very good, a big improvement over the VW. My biggest relief is that the gearbox has not got of the awful 'lag/pause' that the Touareg suffered from, it really is very very good.

Interesting that the pano roof is now not available. I've got a late 2012 (square lights) estate and it has the pano roof (which I really like). I also wanted memory package since the mrs and I have quite different driving positions.

Is a reverse camera standard on a new eclass?

Is a reverse camera standard on a new eclass?

Not standard..it's a £300ish option. I had it fitted on mine for towing. It has and alternative view with a guide line to hitch up. :thumb:

Mine has a reverse camera too. Very useful!

BTW I found an eclass brochure (I forgot that I picked one up at Brooklands recently) and it shows the pano roof and has no indication that is saloon specific. Odd.

Mine has a reverse camera too. Very useful!

BTW I found an eclass brochure (I forgot that I picked one up at Brooklands recently) and it shows the pano roof and has no indication that is saloon specific. Odd.
I've not been able to get an E-Class facelift brochure, only the on-line version. Dealer showrooms are out of stock and if you order on line they send the old version.

Of course the pano roof is available, that's why I ordered it. It's just that they don't appear to have any (or at least, enough) knocking about yet. Maybe it's a RHD thing? Hopefully, I'll get good new this week.

Sorry that's quite unbelievable! You would be lucky to get a 220cdi that!

I would go for the E55/63 AMG...most have all the 'toys' :)

rothbury said:
sorry that's quite unbelievable! You would be lucky to get a 220cdi that!

hth

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom