E class wifi hotspot and video streaming

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

flying banana

Car
‘18 AMG GTS Premium - Selenite Grey, '99 Lotus Elise S1 111s - Mustard Pearl
Hi - has anyone out there managed to set up an integrated wifi hotspot in an E Class (S212 facelift with Comand 5*1)?

I know the car can read and play 720p mp4 and mkv video files, and I know it has a wifi radio - it can connect to my iphone's personal hotspot via wifi, and it can see all of the SSIDs in the vicinity. I sort of what to do it the other way round - provide a "Mercedes xyz" ssid for other wifi enabled devices in the car to connect to that can then:

1) Use my iPhone's 4g data connection to browse the internet via tethering
2) (and this is the wacky bit) Stream movie content from either a USB Stick in the centre console or SD card in the dash.

In the past I've lashed something with similar capability up using a raspberry Pi, which provided a completely separate hotspot with no internet connectivity, but which allowed streaming from a dirty great usb stick physically in the pi. The problem was that once connected to it, phones/ipads couldn't access the internet without disconnecting and connecting to the personal hotspot enabled on my phone.

The video streaming capability is a real godsend with teenagers in the back on long journeys - and all of the hardware to make it work is there in the car. I just don't know if anyone has unlocked the capability or added a few bits from other higher spec models to make it more seamless from a user perspective.

I've emailed Comand Online to see if they have an answer, but thought I'd ask in here too. Thanks in advance for any insight.

Banana... did you have any luck with this? I’m looking for the same setup.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom