E Coupe for "Export"

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Toodeep

I had planned to order an E350 CDi Coupe Sport for March 2010 delivery after choosing it against some rivals but was put off by the fact that some items were not available that were offered on the E Saloon. Despite assurances from dealers. I was not confident that Blind Spot, Lane Keeping and Night View Assist, and Keyless Go (which I know is not on the saloon) would not be offered at some time. In addition, I was aware that some owners were experiencing problems with rough engines. I now see that Blind Spot Assist at least is being offered and that, as an unexpected bonus, a 19" wheel can be specified. Presumably the engine issues have been ironed out a year on.

Call me spoilt, but I am still peeved that MB cannot fit Keyless Go to UK cars when (a) every rival and many lesser manufacture seems to be able to, (b) MB offer it on E Coupes in nearly every other market and (c) MB pioneered it and fit it to other models.

My question is . . . is it feasible to order a Coupe for export (say, to Ireland who are RHD and can specify Keyless Go) and then "import" it to the UK instead? Obviously I would have to pay UK taxes and I wouldn't even mind if I ended up paying a little more than for a regular UK car (though nowhere near what the Irish have to pay!!!). My plan would be to have a factory collection anyway, so what's to stop me driving to Folkestone, settling up with HM Government and registering the car in England? I'm guessing my insurers might penalise me a bit but apart from this, I cannot see what problems could occur.

Does anyone have an opinion on this strategy or any expertise in this area?

It would then be a "grey import" and resale value would be considerably less and insurance probably considerably more.

Have you asked a main dealer like brooklands for their advice ? I would discuss the scenario you outline and get their views on it.

For imports - if anything I'd import from Germany - the tax rate is almost at parity. Plus it's very easy to do and MB are setup for this (paperwork wise). Germany to Ireland to the UK - very complex, plus I think cars are very expensive in Ireland.

J.

have you asked a main dealer like brooklands for their advice ? I would discuss the scenario you outline and get their views on it.

For imports - if anything i'd import from germany - the tax rate is almost at parity. Plus it's very easy to do and mb are setup for this (paperwork wise). Germany to ireland to the uk - very complex, plus i think cars are very expensive in ireland.

J.

agreed!

I'm not sure it's the cars that are expensive - it's the tax that is punitive.

I guess the OP is effectively thinking of ordering an 'Irish Spec' car rather than UK to get Keyless go, and would not want to go LHD which you would get importing any other 'Euro' model.

is it really worth the hassle and probable extra expense to save putting a key in the ignition ?

Have you asked a main dealer like brooklands for their advice ? I would discuss the scenario you outline and get their views on it.

For imports - if anything I'd import from Germany - the tax rate is almost at parity. Plus it's very easy to do and MB are setup for this (paperwork wise). Germany to Ireland to the UK - very complex, plus I think cars are very expensive in Ireland.

J.

I wasn't planning to import via Ireland but I want a car to RoI spec, which presumably means going through MB(UK) Tax Free Export Sales much as a customer moving to Ireland might. I ruled out buying in Ireland when I saw their prices!!! I'm only speculating about Tax Free sales but I guess the purchaser then pays local taxes where he or she lives once the car has landed and is registered. In my case, I would be driving the car back to England.

Are you suggesting I buy the car in Germany and pay their taxes? How is this better?

I put my scheme to a London salesman but could tell he was unconvinced about my sanity when he started looking towards the security guard. I think I'll take a trip to Brooklands and do as you suggest. Thanks.

Aoraki, I take your point about grey imports. How 'considerably' do you think resale would be affected?

If you buy a new car in an EU country for export to the UK - you do not pay the taxes in that country but have to pay VAT on the base price charged in that country.
That is why people import from the EU. Manufacturers have tried to harmonise prices - therefore those countries with higher VAT have sometimes had lower base prices.
As for insurance in this country - the car is NOT a grey import and will have an EU conformity certificate and therefore should not cost any more to insure. Both of my wife's CR-vs have been imported from the EU. The last one was made 10 miles up the road - shipped to Netherlands - shipped to Leicester then driven home all to save us £2,500. Mad or what..:rolleyes:

If you buy a new car in an EU country for export to the UK - you do not pay the taxes in that country but have to pay VAT on the base price charged in that country.
That is why people import from the EU. Manufacturers have tried to harmonise prices - therefore those countries with higher VAT have sometimes had lower base prices.
As for insurance in this country - the car is NOT a grey import and will have an EU conformity certificate and therefore should not cost any more to insure. Both of my wife's CR-vs have been imported from the EU. The last one was made 10 miles up the road - shipped to Netherlands - shipped to Leicester then driven home all to save us £2,500. Mad or what..:rolleyes:

Understood, and good news it seems. Thank you. To be clear, I had planned to buy the car in the UK for export to an EU territory (ie Ireland) for personal collection. This seems easier than to travel to Germany to make the purchase for export to the UK. I'm already getting quizzical looks from salesmen who speak the same language as me!

I'm using Ireland to disabuse the dealer of any notion that my requirements are outside the realms of possibility. I'd only be asking for what an Irish buyer or one relocating to Ireland might order. I will then be collecting a RHD vehicle that would have Europe navigation mapping and Keyless Go (fanfare). The thought has just occurred to me that the speedo might be in Kph but that's minor.

Since it is theoretically only exchange rates and taxation that account for price variations, I presume I will be paying the same pre-tax price with my 'Irish' hat on as I would being a Londoner; maybe less if your assertion about lower base rates to compensate for higher taxation works out. Again, theoretically, once I pay the UK tax man his ransom, I would have paid the same (plus K-Go) as any of you. As I have said, I'm prepared to end up paying a small premium for being a fussy so and so.

Last edited:
Aoraki, I take your point about grey imports. How 'considerably' do you think resale would be affected?

It's about 15 - 20% on bikes, unsure with cars.

I'm sure that if it's not an UK model then it's a grey import, certainly works like that with bikes.

So long as you have a UK CoC then it's a UK car.

It may have been sourced via import, but it has UK paperwork.

I've imported many cars - with a CoC, and to uk specification, they are fine. Insurance companies have said the same thing to me.

Some people perceive a reduction in value because of the import, but if you keep the car long enough it makes no difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom