E Coupe rear window demister

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

NRT10

Car
Mercedes Eclass coupe
Hi. I’m new here, having just bought my e coupe. Hope someone can help with this as I can’t find anything online specifically for the e coupe.
I realised after turning the air con off a few months back that my rear window demister doesn’t clear the top few lines. I’ve spoken to the Mercedes dealer when it first happened and he said they would need to check it out under warranty. Due to lockdown I’ve had to rebook with another person at the dealer and they said the last person should have advised me that the top few lines are for the antenna. It doesn’t sit right with me as the first person didn’t know about it. I though it maybe damaged by someone removing a dealer sticker but I bought the car a few months old as an exdemonstrator so they wouldn’t take a sticker off if it had one. The rear glass is tinted so a sticker wouldn’t be as visible anyway. That’s why I think it could be an electrical issue and the fact it looks like it isn’t working correctly and not Mercedes intention to manufacture it this way. It looks terrible to me. Plus it’s very slow to clear compared to my Audi A5 convertible rear screen.
It’s a new model 19 plate if it helps. Thanks for any help/advice in advance.
Neil

Attachments

• B43740B4-AAF6-45D8-919D-7FD1D0C10927.jpeg
    B43740B4-AAF6-45D8-919D-7FD1D0C10927.jpeg
    408.7 KB · Views: 9
  • 4B2EC94E-88D0-47CF-A3C1-BE72DA2071B1.jpeg
    4B2EC94E-88D0-47CF-A3C1-BE72DA2071B1.jpeg
    637.3 KB · Views: 9
That happens on mine too, albeit a 2011 E class coupe , so I presume they all do that.
Oh and welcome, Neil. :) 👍

Done some further checking, seems the top lines on the HRW are not heated, if you look at them closely, they are thicker, so looks like the second chap you spoke to was right.

On my previous vehicles, the top lines are the ones used for the antenna system.
Connecting them via some bias network to the demist function would be _very_ challenging
since the 12V DC system of a car is very noisy. It would most likely ruin any attempt to listen
to LW/MW...

People still listen to LW and MW ? I suppose it's still a thing in some countries. 🤷‍♂️

Here it comes......

Thanks for confirming all. It’s been on my mind for ages and didn’t really want to have the rear window removed.
I am a bit picky with my cars and like everything to be just right.
I’ll have to get used to it.
thanks again!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom