E G R delete, overfuelling ??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

powerplus

Car
w203 270cdi sport estate
Having successfully carried out the egr delete and being very pleased with performance, everything seemed ok. I parked the car up for a week whilst on holiday. On return journey from airport i used the kick down to accelerate and the car boosted, then made a knocking sound and cut out. I managed to restart engine, but it was sluggish, smokey and very noisy. I nursed it home ( only 2 miles) and left it overnight. Warning light came on which i cleared with code reader.( it said fuel pressure fault) The following morning it started and sounded sweet, and used the car for a few days. Yesterday i tried to use kick down and the car went sluggish, heavy knocking, lots of smoke and a rumbling as if main bearings were worn out, no fault codes this time. The car started fine again after being left overnight.. no noises or smoke,, Any ideas please ?? Maybe someone stole/swapped a part whilst in the airpark ??

Doubt if its air in fuel as it always starts well from cold. I am considering injectors, but would they not show up on diagnostic ??, checked live data and it shows low fuel pressure on low revs, normal pressure on mid revs and excessively high pressure on high revs. looked at fuel control valve and changed O rings, but still the same.

Have you done a leak off test?

leak off test carried out, tried to post foto of result on here but having difficulties, keeps asking for URL of image ?? any advice please ??

thanks for advice E270,, so here is the results,, looks like trouble with nos 2,3 and 4 injectors ??

What about no. 1?

Edit: You have 5 cylinders.

I think 2 and 4.

How was the test performed ?

1. MB Star leak off test (recommended)
2. Idle leak off test over set period of time
3. 2500 rpm leak off test
4. WOT leak off test.

As it stands from the pictures I would send them all off for a refurb.

Renault 12ts, no 1 bottle is empty because there are 6 bottles and only 5 cyls,,,,lol.. Reading from left to right no 2 and 4 are the fullest and 3 is borderline.

E270 owner, the test was performed with a sealy leak back kit, firstly on idle, then second test at approx 2 -3,000 rpm,, results are more or less identical. both test were carried out until the first bottle to fill up.

E270 owner, the test was performed with a sealy leak back kit, firstly on idle, then second test at approx 2 -3,000 rpm,, results are more or less identical. both test were carried out until the first bottle to fill up.

Ok do a WOT test

1. Warm the engine to normal temp
2. Setup leak off test
3. Allow to idle 30 secs
4. Open throttle till 4000rpm - max rpm and hold
5. Observe which injectors are dumping excessive fuel over 20 secs

Some injectors dump so much fuel it causes a low pressure fault in the system and the engine closes down.
one reason why some engines cut out under WOT on the road and not stationary WOT as there's no actual engine loading.

Personally.............

Send them all off for refurbishment, if you only do the worst ones the others will soon follow suit and then your back to square one again pulling injectors.

If you are removing them get the engine up to temp @ 90' allow to cool 5 mins before undoing the pipework and bolts etc.

http://www.fiscardiff.co.uk/

Last edited:
Thanks for that E270,, I've spoken to a Bosch dealer in Swansea and got the full set booked in for testing next week,,, they charge £20 per injector to test and between
£95 and £150 per item to overhaul.

Thanks for that E270,, I've spoken to a Bosch dealer in Swansea and got the full set booked in for testing next week,,, they charge £20 per injector to test and between

Best plan is to listen to the above advice and get all done and haggle for a deal on all 5.

I pay nearly half of that locally to me but I'm trade so get good discount.

You wont be charged a test fee for those that need repairing I hope, you should only be charged for those that test good.

Haggle for a better deal as already mentioned.:)

Last edited:
Used these guys before done a great job on some Alfa injectors

Injector testing and inspection starts from £5.00 each + vat.

Injector repairs start from £20.00 each + vat.

Diesel Bob Tuning - Injectors

Last edited:
Thanks again for advice E270,, two of injectors failed test on mid range delivery,, but to my amazement passed the back leakage test, the cost is £115 plus vat per injector ( including test fee),, so not too bad. The repair shop owner has a 220 cdi with 130,000 miles and he has had his injectors out 3 times,, he is not impressed with the Bosch Mercedes system.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom