E-mail from BT - genuine or scam?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Crikey, no wonder the scammers keep going!

Scam.

They come in two main types - offering a refund or suggesting you owe them a huge amount of money.
Another popular one is "they are suspending your account due to suspicious activity on it" and to make it safe you will have log on to the link below "unfreeze" it! You are then forwarded to a bogus site where you are induced to supply account details username/password etc so it can be "cleared" :rolleyes:

FB users will have seen the copy and paste posts a lot, the ones where gullible users c&p those 'I bet no one shares this post about starving babies' or 'c&p this and see posts from people you haven't bothered speaking to for 20 years'.

I read an interesting post today that explains why they are a scam, I was just about to c&p it for you...

:)
I know the post you mean. I read it today too.

My uncle recently contacted me about an email he had purporting to be from Apple.

My advice to these emails is (some already mentioned):

1) Assume anything like this is dodgy until you are sure it is genuine and take your time to establish that and never click anything in the sent email as you could end up on a website with a malicious payload which you then download to your computer
2) Always go to websites yourself - never use details / links in an email or download attachments unless you are 100% happy with 1) above
3) Have a look through at the email as above and see if it makes sense - if you look at the email in Windows, you can move the mouse over links and if you don't click (never click!) it will show you where it will take you if you did click. Does where the link is taking you make sense and similar to where it is from
4) Even then, you could still receive an email with genuine links and what appears to be from a legit sender so that is no guarantee. It's just if not, it highlights a sloppy attempt by the fraudster.
5) Does it make sense i.e. is it well-written in English - most formal communications are
6) And then do you even have an account with or have been a customer of whichever entity is contacting you?
7) Is the email offering you something or going to stop something if you don't act - these are classic attempts to catch you off your guard and / or make you act in haste - if it was that urgent you act, why are they not phoning you instead?
8) Are you expecting an email - if not, speak to them via your own steam

If you aren't sure if it's genuine, click on their email address at the top, it will show the address its come from.

It looks genuine.

If you just hover the mouse pointer over the link, the most popular browsers should preview the address. In Firefox it's shown in the bottom left hand corner of the screen. To show how easy it is, hover over the following link:-

www.genuine_refund_address_honest_guv.com

It's that easy.

Doesn't look genuine.

Another popular one is "they are suspending your account due to suspicious activity on it" and to make it safe you will have log on to the link below "unfreeze" it! You are then forwarded to a bogus site where you are induced to supply account details username/password etc so it can be "cleared" :rolleyes:

That ruse - is usually via phone call. Many many times!

Logged onto my BT account a couple of days ago to see my latest bill, and BT are offering a deal to BT Sport customers - there's 3 options, can't remember details of all 3 but the one I went for was a refund of 2 months cost of BT Sport as they can't show live sport.

Logged onto my BT account a couple of days ago to see my latest bill, and BT are offering a deal to BT Sport customers - there's 3 options, can't remember details of all 3 but the one I went for was a refund of 2 months cost of BT Sport as they can't show live sport.
Well done BT

Watch this,very funny. A guy with a pre planned response to nuisance calls.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
Hope link works

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom