E-Type breaks cover!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

corned

MB Enthusiast
Car
car
First time out in daylight for a few years. Business/family/money are all enemies of an indulgence such as this, but I thought sod it - it's time to start getting the old girl recommissioned.

I bought a new Lucas calcium battery at the weekend so I could make a start (pun intended) and I have been itching to fire her up again.

Once I had cranked it over for a minute or so (to get the oil pressure to register) I put some fresh petrol in the tank (bone dry) and allowed the fuel system to pressurise. Then a few turns over on the starter and wham - we're back!

The old girl sat idling away on the drive had been something I had begun to fear I might not see again, but she's a faithful old thing and never lets me down. This is why I must start to repay the favour and put some time and effort into her!

I dread to think what is needed to get her through an MOT, but there's only one way to find out. The engine is quite rough but will run and idle without too much fuss. I think I will need to get the ramps out and attack all the joints/nipples/whatever with the grease gun, and do some general fettling. Then I might risk an MOT. Thank god that the emissions are not part of the test!

Maybe if people are interested, I will post the odd update to this thread occasionally to keep you in on progress, if any.

Anyway, here's a picture from a few minutes ago to be going on with...

10052011085.jpg

There's nothing more striking and timeless than an E Type - fabulous.

OK - since you asked!

It's a 1968 4.2 coupé, what is referred to as a 'Series 1.5' owing to it having the body of the original series 1 but also having the exposed headlamps more like the series 2 which followed. There's an old front-end shot in my gallery somewhere for reference.

In 1991 my mum died, and left a modest sum to me which I wanted to put to something which would last forever. She loved E-Types every bit as much as I did (probably why I loved them in the first place!) and so I thought that would be a fitting thing to do. So the search began. I have to confess that I never dreamed of actually owning one, and it was only because of the market crash of the recent past which brought classic car prices back down to normality.

I was originally thinking along the lines of an MGB, but found that I could stretch to a modest E-Type which would run but require ongoing work. So I did! I was lucky in that I found this one virtually on my doorstep which someone had re-imported from the USA (hence the LHD) but then done nothing with. The company I bought it from and I agreed a price, and in that a specification to ensure it was roadworthy and good for the next few years, which they did very well. It had new floors and a few other body bits, but generally it was grubby but sound. They registered it as that had not yet been done and put it on a 1968 'F' plate. A fresh MOT and off we went!

If you lived nearer to me I would offer to claybar, polish and wax it for you just to have a good look, and maybe just a tiny drive :D

What a beautiful car and link to your mum. I'm sure a few people feel the same way as JBR!

The E Types really are the most fantastic looking cars, and they don't have one bad angle of view. The performance isn't bad, either! I hope she looks after you.

Speaking of tyres, are they ER70 VR15s?

Last edited:
Thanks for the very kind words everyone!

I think you would be very disappointed to see it in the flesh, as it is a little rough around the edges. JBR - it's a long, long way off needing a clay bar. But thanks for the offer - lol!

The tyres and wheel sizes are a perennial debate in E-Type circles. I actually much prefer the original 'Commer van' appearance to the wide-boy wheels which fill the arches out. For the record, the tyres are 185 R15, and 80 profile iirc (i.e. full height sidewalls).

I use the Avon tyre which has that lovely wavy tread pattern. Traction can be an issue! :eek: Roadholding is simply astonishing though, considering how skinny the tyres are.

The colour usually attract some comment. 'Marmite Yellow' - you either love it or hate it. It's actually called 'Pale Primrose', which sounds much nicer. It looks almost cream in some lights.

I forgot to mention further back in the thread that it was most important to me to get a coupé and not a 2+2. Also I did (still do) not much like the series 2 appearance, and the series 3 (V12) really lost the plot in the looks department. IMHO naturally! Why have that style available and then c0ck it up completely!

Last edited:
Great to see the E Type and a nice link to your Mum - what better reason to have such a lovely car.

Jags have always been one of my favourite marques, ever since I was driven for a short trip in a huge Mk 10 owned by the father of my 'best pal' in junior school. In those days (1960's) the E Type looked incredibly exotic and anything with a speedo showing 150mph was clearly a bit special.

I hope you have many happy years with it and keep us posted on progress.

Lovely, thank you for posting. A very English car with a wonderful heritage.

even better in convertible timeless british classic car only beaten by conriche and xk120 for me and of course aston martin convertible from old james bond 60s films

As with many cars, the early models are the best. The E-Type , in the words of Enzo Ferarri , was the most beautiful car ever made.Enjoy:thumb:

Timeless, beautiful design but I've never quite understood why the wings have to be so oversized! Why not set the wheels further out, not wider, just a wider track? Was there some aero reason? Can't think of any other car of that era to do this?

The link with your Mum touched a spot. The nicest thing in the world to me was our daughter calling her daughter Jennie. My Mum's name.

Back to cars. A similar yellow is "Primrose Yellow" on Rover 75s very olde worlde English colour.

Whoes for a GTG at Corned's house?

Loving this Jag. Does anyone else remember a story from a few years back when an ex-Jaguar employee from the 60's & 70's harboured all the parts needed to assemble a complete E-Type? He did so in the early 2000's I think and was able to get it registered on the very latest number plate and it became the official last ever original E-Type to be produced! :)

I remember that one doing the rounds in the Jaguar club magazine at the time. Good for him! A world with another E-Type in it is most certainly a better place than beforehand.

We'll have to hold off that GTG Chez Corned for a bit TJ - at least let me get it into some sensible shape before piling 'round! Despite what the photo might look like, the car really does not bear close scrutiny at present. :eek:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom