E (W211)Class engine/cabin vibration/tremor

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

adam1

Car
E220CDI avantgarde-tansanite blue with sand-cream leather .Honda Civic, Honda Stream SESport( 160bhp
Noticed for the first time that the diesel clatter which normally i hear when cold is more pronouced. The vibration is such that on idle when stopped, it sends a mild tremor thro the cabin. Is this normal ? I also noticed that while driving up to 20 mph i can hear the vibration but as the car speeds up it does go away. After 15 mins driving it was OK. checked oil level and it says OK.

For the past 8 months the mild diesel clatter was hardly something i would complain about...but this sounds diff. Could it be the turbo, leakage etc...since i sometimes do put the foot down 4000-5000 rpm.

Thinking of taking into dealers to have a look but the hassle of it puts me off, probably means I'll take it to Harrogate but will need a courtsey car if its a fault that needs looking into.

What are the motor mounts, and what could have caused them to become faulty?

the big rubber things between the engine and the body - and they just wear out...

not that expensive...

guydewdney said:
the big rubber things between the engine and the body - and they just wear out...

not that expensive...

Excuse me but this is a new car???

I would suggest that this is a computer glitch and needs restting at the Dealer mate. It is not "normal" as it isn't on mine and wasn't on your when you had it?

By the way the Turbo isn't on at Tickover, comes in at 1800 rpm.

Its a couple of months older than yours Brian with 16000 miles, got it a 12000.

The noise has gone today but may appear again randomly. It tends to come on at first start and then within 15 mins goes after driving although u can hear the throaty crackles at slow speed. Kinda like knocks.

The oil, water level is OK. The prob is trying to get in looked at....is it serious enough to stop driving or should i wait till i get it booked it....usually a few weeks at dealers, and thats if a car is available.

adam1 said:
Its a couple of months older than yours Brian with 16000 miles, got it a 12000.

The noise has gone today but may appear again randomly. It tends to come on at first start and then within 15 mins goes after driving although u can hear the throaty crackles at slow speed. Kinda like knocks.

The oil, water level is OK. The prob is trying to get in looked at....is it serious enough to stop driving or should i wait till i get it booked it....usually a few weeks at dealers, and thats if a car is available.

Intermittent faults are hard to find, but sounds as if it is worse when cold. I wouldn't worry mate, book it in as soon as convenient. Your first service must be due soon?

Mine has done 16800 and is due a service at 17400.

Did this start soon after you filled up? Diesel fuel, whilst it may conform to minimum spec, can be very variable. I find that if I have to switch away from BP Ultimate or get cheapo supermarket fuel mine has more diesel clatter when cold and does idle worse.

Two weeks ago in darkest Wales getting & low had to stop at a small local garage. I distrust such places so put (fortunately) only 20 litres in, but it was horrible. Soon after sounded like a tractor and drove like a pig until the next fill up with Ultimate.

My friendly company VAT man reckons this might have been illegal "washed" red diesel which is a real growth industry in parts of the country and is now finding its way into some of the scummier urban independant retailers.

Given that 70%+ of the pump price is tax real money to be made out of this

You may have a point Sach,

I don't normally fill up tank but in the last two fill ups i did. The first time it was OK but this second time at nearly full tank the car does sound like a tractor at times but then i always fill up at the same place. I may try BP Ultimate on next fill to see if it helps........if its the fuel then i can put up with it since it hardly annoying. I was just worried the car engine had a fault, but its a very good point....never thought that.

Before taking the car into the dealer run some injector cleaner through the system.
The noise sounds possibly like a sticking injector.

Dieselman said:
Before taking the car into the dealer run some injector cleaner through the system.
The noise sounds possibly like a sticking injector.

You could be right mate. Possibly due to dirty or inferior fuel?? :eek:

But,at 16000 miles I would want the Injectors changed under Warranty not cleaned. :crazy: :crazy:

The vibration and tremor thru cabin is quite pronouced now. It is easily noticed by passengers. Worse on startup but it does not stop even after 30-40 mins of driving....seems its nothing to do with cold engine.

I guess it could be fuel injectors ...still got a half tank so putting cleaner wont help, unless i put more fuel in which will contaminate any new fuel.

The dealer will attempt to see it next Wednesday but driving a truck is no fun and I'm getting a bit fed up with this car. I used premium diesel from a well known supermarket and I'm sure if supermarket diesels were that bad it would have affected other cars too and people would avoid these pumps.

I'm going to use BP Ultimate as soon as the tank is 1/4 full. I will add cleaner as i put new fuel in just in case. If that deosn't help its def something else.

Filled up with half a tank of BP ultimate and a can of injector cleaner. The noise has since dissappeared. Before letting the Bp fuel run low put in 10l of supermarket diesel again to see if it happens again. The Bp fuel is not noticeably diff in performance but engine runs quiet at idle.

The dealer diagnosed a problem with air flow filter and car is booked to have it replaced. Also had the SBC update done.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom