E200, 2001, w210 - rear car movement

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MFK

Car
Merc E200 Auto
When changing lanes in the above car there is a shifting feeling at the back - no clunking or unusual sounds but a definite sideways wobble that goes once car back on straight line. Drives perfect otherwise. No problem evident turning corners. Doesnt appear to be speed related either.

Any ideas would be much appreciated?
thanks MFK

Check the rear bushes etc.

Any particular bushes you have in mind - I couldnt see anything obvious? Anti Roll bar looked ok but some wear but not that I would feel like need to replace

Track control arms. You are describing a lateral movement, as if something is allowing he axle to shift sideways. In old cars it was a Panhard rod, but not in these cars.

That is exactly it - it is lateral movement. I will check these arms more closely. Wheel bearings seem fine as well - no rocking or noises. How is best to check them with wheels hanging or on the ground

Rear subframe bushes, almost certainly. Mine was like a new car after Olly changed them!

I had this problem with my 210 , it was the rear bushings between the lower arm where he spring locates and the rear hub . I changed all the rear bushings when i did the job ,it cost around 150 euro for all the bushings ,

Bushings

I had this problem with my 210 , it was the rear bushings between the lower arm where he spring locates and the rear hub . I changed all the rear bushings when i did the job ,it cost around 150 euro for all the bushings ,
Hi Shorty ,
My 01 E200 Kompressor, just failed its NCT with Rear Suspension axle Bushes worn both sides and front suspension anti roll bar link worn .Theres no noticable effect to the handling of the car and i think this is just a back lash to the documentary on tv ( the day before my NCT ) which alleged that NCT testers were taking backhanders and passing dangerous cars . Theres only 65k miles up on this car.
Who did you get to do your work to your 210, i need someone whos not going to charge me an arm and a leg .

Hi Shorty ,
My 01 E200 Kompressor, just failed its NCT with Rear Suspension axle Bushes worn both sides and front suspension anti roll bar link worn .Theres no noticable effect to the handling of the car and i think this is just a back lash to the documentary on tv ( the day before my NCT ) which alleged that NCT testers were taking backhanders and passing dangerous cars . Theres only 65k miles up on this car.
Who did you get to do your work to your 210, i need someone whos not going to charge me an arm and a leg .

Hi there

I did the bushings myself . On my 210 there was one bushing wore , it was the outter bushing on the lower arm where the spring sits . I changed all the rear bushing though . It was'nt difficult though I had to remove both rear hubs to press out the bushings , and I had the use of a press . I also done my front anti roll bar bushings and drop links , these where much easier to do

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom