E200 Fire France Help

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by cwok, Jun 13, 2011.

1. cwok

cwok New Member

Car:
    E200
    Hi, I hope someone can help with this.

I drove 2005 E200 with full MB service record from Cherbourg to St Raphael in France on 28/29th May with no problems. Car had its last service in prep for the trip end of April.

8th June parked in Cannes at 3.40pm and arrived back to car at about 4.30pm.

The car was surrounded by firemen and police, water and glass, very dramatic. It had gone on fire at 4.20pm and firemen broke the drivers window to get access to the bonnet release (cheaper than damaging the bonnet).

I phoned my oh (back in St Raphael) who phoned 0800 1 777 7777. They phoned back to say a tow truck would be with us within an hour and a half and they would take us to the MB garage and arrange a replacement car. I had my son and nephew with me.

We waited and waited and worried. My son phoned the MB garage who claimed to know nothing about it, had no tow truck available and were preparing to go home. He phoned 0800 1 777 7777 who said they would try to sort it out. They got back to us and again said wait for tow truck.

The tow truck arrived at about 8.45pm with space for 1 passanger only, no luggage. Son and nephew helped to load car to tow truck and got a train to Nice and organised a hotel. I went to MB garage in tow truck where we waited for an MB official to arrive to take in the car. He then drove me to Nice airport where I was expected to hire a car. I couldn't as I didn't have my passport with me. I was stranded on my own at 10pm (and my French is woeful), so made my way into Nice to stay in the hotel with my son and nephew.

OH hired a car in St Raphael the next day and we got the train there.

On 10th June we flew back to Ireland, the car is in the garage near Nice.

Mobilo want us to give our insurance details to the garage as it is a "minor mishap". I think it is a technical fault and would not be happy to drive the car again without a full diagnosis and repair. I think it is up to Mobilo to give a much better service than we received.

Has anyone any advice?

2. markjay

markjay MB Club Veteran

Car:
    W204 C180 Executive SE 2013 Automatic / COMAND NTG4.7 and Morel speakers fitted by www.comand.co.uk
    Sorry to hear about your trouble... and welcome to the forum.

Your current issue is quite interesting. Some years a go I encountered the opposite problem, when the car of someone I knew caught fire due to a chafing ECU loom, the fire was put out but the cost estimate for replacing the burnt loom and ECU in effect wrote-off the car.

The insurer was not interested... they said it was mechanical failure and as such not covered.

Interestingly, the owner of the car noted that it was a mistake to put out the fire, in retrospect he thought it would have been better to just let the thing burn to a crisp...

I think there is a delicate balance here relating to the amount of damage.

If the fire damage is substantial, then it should be covered by insurance as it is a fire... if it only affected some mechanical parts, then I suppose the insurer would have a case in saying that this is a mechanical failure and not a fire as such.

Is the car covered by any sort of (MB or third party) mechanical breakdown warranty?

3. st4

st4 Banned

Car:
    C220cdi tourer
    So the car caught fire when parked?

I think its an insurance job to claim, perhaps the car was vandalised? It would seem bizzare it would catch fire when it was switched off (engine not running).

I dont think the service mobilo gave you was very good it has to be said

Pontoneer likes this.
  4. OP
    OP
    cwok

cwok New Member

Car:
    E200
    Yes the car caught fire 40 mins after it was parked, it was not vandalised as it was within the sight of the car park office.

We thought Mobilo was enough for this type of problem and if we go the insurance route the bill will go way up and we will lose no claims bonus etc.

5. OP
    OP
    cwok

cwok New Member

Car:
    E200
    After a Summer full of trouble over the car we eventually collected it from the MB garage in Villeneuve near Nice on Monday 12th September. There was a bill for close to €1000 for the tow, Mobilo are paying that. The repair bill was over €5000, hopefully our insurance will refund that to us.

We have another problem though. Yesterday the orange engine light came on and it won't go off. The car seems to be going fine but I don't feel comfortable driving the length of France to get it home. We are booked into the garage for tomorrow with it. My worry is that they will say the car is not driveable and leave us stranded again.

Has anyone got any experience with the engine light?

6. Adam230K

Adam230K MB Enthusiast

Car:
    German oil burner
    The engine light could be a number of things... weather its related to the fire or not it will be very difficult to pinpoint...

Personally if that happened to me i'd try trading that car in for a new one once the money issue is settled... good luck with that

7. OP
    OP
    cwok

cwok New Member

Car:
    E200
    Engine fault codes

We are not completely frustrated. Brought the car back to the garage today. They said they had no idea what was wrong BUT that it was not related to the fire! They wanted to keep the car in and "check everything" BUT could not give a cost estimate. I am shocked that they can give back a car with new faults after having it for 3 months. The only things they fixed were a broken window (the firemen), and the wiring (cause of fire).

I asked for the fault codes. They are 2029 and 201C. Does anyone know what the codes mean? I cannot find them anywhere.

They said we could take the car and bring it back tomorrow morning.

Thanks

8. bolide

bolide MB Enthusiast

Car:
    BMW E39 525 Diesel Touring
    It's 27 Km from Cannes to Nice. How does that cost €1000?

Nick Froome

9. OP
    OP
    cwok

cwok New Member

Car:
    E200
    Spot on Nick. I pointed that out to them. The garage is in Vielleneuve, on the Cannes side of Nice. Now do you see why I am nervous.

The tow– truck was called in by Mobilo and nothing happened for ages. Then it was called in again and "it was after hours". There was no room for more than 1 passenger, front seat, no seat belt! No room for the rest of the party or the luggage.

10. OP
    OP
    cwok

cwok New Member

Car:
    E200
    Reminded of this incident today because of the large carpark fire in Cork last night, lots of damage but nobody hurt.

Cars destroyed in Cork shopping centre fire

The car park in Cannes told me at the time that they monitor the carpark with cameras and showed me the screens. They are aware that parked cars can go on fire but “usually within 10 - 15 mins of being parked”! Our car was within sight of the car park office so smoke rising from under the bonnet was spotted immediately luckily for all concerned given what I now know from the Cork incident.

My son was a great help as he spoke French well. Himself and the nephew had a fantastic night out in Nice.

We got the engine codes sorted out using ourselves with help from a mechanic online. We then drove the car home, had it checked out by our local MB garage, drove it for a few months and bought a new MB having told the garage the history.

Thanks for the help here at the time.

Tags: