E200 kompressor, car performance test

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Paul

Car
2011 E220
As you will hopefully of noticed I current have at my disposal a E200 Kompressor :) , well in the name of science and because you lot like a bit of fun, Greg and I deceided to risk live and limb and do some performance testing.

This was under a strictly controlled enviroment (Local By-pass) and with the latest timing equipment available to Greg (His Nokia phone).

All this was done at great cost (bl**dy lot of petrol) to us both, but we didnt mind doing it for your benefit, we're good like that.

The test track (By-pass) was a mixture of uphill and downhill gradients with a few level runs thrown in aswell.

After flooring the accelerator at 20mph we started the timing equipment (Thanks Nokia) once the car had reached 30mph. We then stopped the watch (phone) at 70mph.

Both Gregs car (C200) and the E200 Kompressor averaged out at between 9.3 & 9.4 seconds.

This calulation was established using both our fingers and a few of Gregs toes.

What we did notice though was how much a "slight" gradient made, there was around a 3.5 second difference and of course you really could feel the gentle slope sapping the performance.

The E class it self was a smooth accelerator but felt just so under powered when more than just a very quick short squirt was needed.

The alloys look like they have been sprayed with Halfords bright silver paint and the centres actually resemble steel wheels, very cheap looking.

We both generally gave the interior a thumbs down although we did like a few touches.

The exterior was a thumbs up except the wheels.

The final conclusion was that neither of us would give up our current cars to have them replaced by a E200k.

The mileage on this "Test car" is 1300miles, although the tyres have around 2000miles of wear :D :D . Well it would of been rude not to test the effects of turning the traction control off.

As a sub note I must point out that all this was done for YOUR benefits and Greg and I never enjoyed one little bit of our many runs in the cars :rolleyes: :rolleyes: .

Was it a W211?

What didn't you like about the interior? I'm really impressed with it.

Yes it was the new W211.

The interior bearing in mind this is a Classic, didnt have a quality look about it. I liked the centre consoul and the radio / air control layout, but the dash just didnt "Feel" right. Maybe Greg can describe it better.

My wife said "I doesnt look / feel like a Mercedes inside and the seat are not as armchair like".

I really hate the classic wheels as well, why did they put those on the car.

The 'electric hideaway' - thats where the CD changer should be! still neat though that the panel lifts up to reveal the cd player. I'm guessing the material of the dash is the same in mine as the classic, its just a different wood and dials. I really like the dash design and layout (but then I would say that!) it may not look like a Mercedes inside but I'd never driven a Mercedes before looking at this one.

I've mentioned this before but I first test drove the E240 and I wasn't impressed at all, it felt very big and sluggish. Almost put me off but then I drove the E270cdi and loved it.

At least you had fun Paul. Sounds like typical hire car/loan car driving behaviour. I love getting hire cars for work - doesn't happen so often lately.

Nothing like treating someone elses property better than your own - NOT! Not loaners anyway.

a few facts about loaners......

1, the ashtray never needs emptying, the carpets never need hoovering, the bodywork never needs washing and the seats and roof lining have a resistance to cigarette burns that only asbestos can match

2, loan cars are noted for their ability to be driven faster in all gears (particularly reverse) and are known to give their best performance when the rev counter is buried deep in the red for long distances. Their ability to perform a standing quarter mile twice as fast as their standard production counterpart is almost legendary

3, loan cars are fitted with special tyres designed specifically for demonstrating wheel spins and mounting kerbs when parking at much higher speeds than commercially available tyres

4, the stereo in loan cars is MUCH louder and the speakers will never blow

5, you can fit nearly three times as much in the boot and it doesn't matter if it's dirty, sharp etc as the boot lining is invincible

Andy

Last edited:
Sounds like a good used buy with all those extra features...

Originally posted by Guy
Sounds like a good used buy with all those extra features...

Hmmm, I think I will pass on this car, now it been tested :rolleyes: .

Originally posted by GrahamC230K
At least you had fun Paul.

Dont you believe it Graham, it was a real bind to have to keep doing these test, purely for your benefit :p :bannana:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom