E200c 1997 timing chain ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

loopyone

Car
S280 1999 Auto
Just changed head gasket on E200 - everything good except it has developed a whinning noise - thought it might be pulleys - checked all ok,
might be chain? any ideas? would be appreciated.

how did you reset the tensioner?? hope you didn't just screw it back in...if you did then stop now and take the keys out, then come back here for more advice.

Keys are out

ok - now i'm frightened !!! what's my next move - thanks

You will be pleased you took his advice to stop engine, as it has saved you the expense of a new camshaft (expensive).

The chain tensioner has a one way ratchet and will NOT go backwards off the chain, therefore at the moment your chain is far too tight and it will take the front gear assembly clean off the camshaft.

Remove the chain tensioner and push the internal through the outer completely.

Screw the outer into the engine, and then screw the internal assembly into the outer assembly which as already be fitted into the engine.

The internal assembly will find the correct tension for you automatically.

Did you not have access to Haynes manual or similar ?

Hi, thanks for information, yes I think you might have helped save a fortune ! No Haynes manual because the MAN in my life doesn't need one apparently - but you just proved him wrong - thanks guys much appreciated.

Phew! :doh:

That was a close one :)

Will

Very Close, he has seen the errors of his ways :rolleyes: and now she's purring.
Great site, great help.
thanks again

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom