E200K Audio 10 CD player

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MFK

Car
Merc E200 Auto
CD player not working - doesnt recognise magazine (6 CD) holder which wont eject either. Stripped unit and freed the casette. It is getting power etc but still not working. I did notice that there are two orange wires (very rigid) going to the CD and when you unclip the connector there is an LED on one side of it and the other side looks like another LED but it is completed melted. Any ideas what caused this and also what I could do to try fix this unit?

Thanks

MFK

The cables you see are fibre optic wires. If one is melted then the cable will have to be replaced with a new one and probably the cd changer as well if its that end its melted. Bit of a bugger but you may be able to pick up a cd changer on Ebay as they are a bit pricey new. The fibre optic cable runs to the head unit and if its got a factory fitted phone will run into that as well. Best of luck.

Can you post a photo from the melted fibre wire/connector? Sounds odd if it had melted but the other wires are fine. Are you sure you did not just confuse how the fibre looks like?

Anyway you should see light coming from one fibre when the ring is active, if you could look at the other end of the other wire, you should see light too.

Not great pictures but as you can see red LED is fine but opposite side is melted with heat.
Thanks
MFK

Sorry meant to say that the receiver side of the connector in the CD player looks perfect.

Not sure what coonection this all has with not ejecting CD holder cassette unit. It attempts to - you can see the gate slide but doesnt seem to go far enough.
Any help much appreciated.
Thanks

MFK

Not great pictures but as you can see red LED is fine but opposite side is melted with heat.
Thanks
MFK

I was not able to see the pictures, perhaps a mistake with the links?

I'm not familiar with this kind of a CD changer but I've read a lot of posts about stuck CDs and cassettes. Perhaps the advice from old posts would help.

I could think of the device heating up if a CD changer motor gets stuck but it still sounds odd if it would produce as much heat as would be needed to make the fibre melt. I guess everything can happen.

If you find a fix to the CD eject issue and if it is "only" the fibre end, then changing the fibre cables to new would be sufficient. Bad luck if one of the wires goes a long way from the front to the rear, I don't even remember if your CDC was at the trunk.

Yes CD unit is in the boot. I guess the cables run front to back - have not stripped it out yet. Will have new cable next week so will try then.
mail

MFK

How did the cable get melted ? :eek:

Its a proper fiddley job routing the fibre optics to the boot .

No idea how it melted. It started off that the CD player did not recognise the cassette magazine. I tried to take it out but it wouldnt eject so I then stripped out unit and found the cable connector melted:crazy:
Thanks
MFK

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom