E200K Camshaft magnet / air flap valve problem.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

devontoo

Car
E class
I have a W210 E200K. Engine type M111957

I am getting fault code P0010 - “A” Camshaft Position Actuator Circuit (Bank 1).

I am also not getting any supercharger boost because the air flap valve/bypass valve (the thing next to the air box, above the supercharger) is remaining wide open all the time.

Both the fault code and the loss of "blow" occured at the same time so my question is:-
Would this fault cause the air flap valve / bypass valve to be disabled i.e. for the butterfly not to function at all?
If yes, then replacing the
Camshaft Position Actuator (a.k.a. magnet/solenoid, etc) should restore the "blow" shouldn't it?

All opinions gratefully received.

Thanks.

I have now replaced the Camshaft Position Actuator (magnet/solenoid) with a brand new one.
The P0010 code has gone but there is still no supercharger boost and I now get the following codes after every third startup:-
P0135 O2 Sensor Heater Circuit (Bank 1 Sensor 1)
P0141 O2 Sensor Heater Circuit (Bank 1 Sensor 2)
Any suggestions anyone?

I have now replaced the Camshaft Position Actuator (magnet/solenoid) with a brand new one.
The P0010 code has gone but there is still no supercharger boost and I now get the following codes after every third startup:-
P0135 O2 Sensor Heater Circuit (Bank 1 Sensor 1)
P0141 O2 Sensor Heater Circuit (Bank 1 Sensor 2)
Any suggestions anyone?

Check the maf and see if it's contaminated with oil. This happened on my c230K and stopped charger! After a clean with contact cleaner all was good.

Check the maf and see if it's contaminated with oil. This happened on my c230K and stopped charger! After a clean with contact cleaner all was good.

Thanks for the suggestion. That is worth a try.
When you say it stopped the charger, did it stop the airflap from working (so losing all the boost) or did it stop the supercharger electro-mag clutch from engaging. I ask because I believe your model has a clutch on the s/c pulley whereas on the E200K the s/c is permanently engaged.

Thanks for the suggestion. That is worth a try.
When you say it stopped the charger, did it stop the airflap from working (so losing all the boost) or did it stop the supercharger electro-mag clutch from engaging. I ask because I believe your model has a clutch on the s/c pulley whereas on the E200K the s/c is permanently engaged.

Both iirc

I think possibly the s/c clutch has failed. It can take out the k40 relay with it.
Check with the ignition on there is live 12v feed at the sc clutch. The clutch should engage with a ground at the other pin

Thanks for the reply but as I mentioned above there is no s/c clutch on my car (2001 E200K). The s/c is permanently engaged. My problem is that the air flap valve is staying wide open thereby losing the s/c boost.

Following Streethawk's suggestion, I have cleaned the MAF but still no supercharger boost.
I am no longer getting fault codes for
the O2 sensors but I am still getting P0010 Camshaft Position Actuator Circuit (Bank 1), even though I have replaced the actuator (magnet/solenoid). It must be something else connected with the actuator circuit - I am guessing maybe the camshaft position sensor? Does anyone know which other components interact in this area?
Oh for the days of a nice simple wiring diagram!

Check the wiring loom for oil, there was an issue with oil getting pushed up to loom from the cam magnet and causing random fault codes.
Unplug the Engine control unit to check if there is any oil in the plug housing

Thanks, I will check that out although the original camshaft magnet was replaced about ten years ago and some sort of mod done to the wiring. Whether or not it solved the oil problem I guess I will find out.
Does the oil travel along the loom or actually within the individual wire strands?

Checked for oil in ECU plugs - appeared to be ok. While there I checked the fuses at the front of the ECU box and found one (a 10 amp) was blown. I replaced it and the air flap valve is now functioning again. On a quick test drive the car seems to be back to normal (fingers crossed).
These fuses never seem to appear in any of the on-line fuse guides. Any idea what they cover, in particular the one I replaced, which I have marked on the attached image (not my actual unit - copied from an on-line source)..

Attachments

• Copy of $_57.JPG
    Copy of $_57.JPG
    187.5 KB · Views: 15
Checked for oil in ECU plugs - appeared to be ok. While there I checked the fuses at the front of the ECU box and found one (a 10 amp) was blown. I replaced it and the air flap valve is now functioning again. On a quick test drive the car seems to be back to normal (fingers crossed).
These fuses never seem to appear in any of the on-line fuse guides. Any idea what they cover, in particular the one I replaced, which I have marked on the attached image (not my actual unit - copied from an on-line source)..

That'll be the k40 relay
Re my original post should've read correctly first!!!! :doh:

Thanks but your original post referred to the supercharger clutch "taking out the K40 relay" and as I mentioned my car has no s/c clutch. What does the K40 relay do in my case?

Good to hear you got the car sorted,

There was a mod for stopping the oil passing through the loom, its a small plug in extension thingy that connects between the magnet and loom.

If you check Auto Data it will list all fuses and locations

Thanks for the suggestion.
I looked up Auto Data but cannot access it because it is a paid subscription service and quite expensive. I have tried to sign-up for their 14-day free trial but so far have had no response.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom