E210 E300 TD boost threshold/converter stall speed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

markocosic

Car
E300TD
Hi folks,

1998 UK E300 TD

What is the boost threshold on these engines? When should they begin to build boost? What engine speed should the torque converter stall at?

I've picked up a car which behaves perfectly well at autobahn speeds (90 mph) but falls off-boost at 70 mph and is marginal at 80 mph. (indicated speeds, not actual)

The torque converter also stalls before the engine builds any boost, making pulling out of junctions glacial whether you two-foot launch the vehicle or not. (once rolling at 20 mph it'll take off like a fat child chasing cake)

Is this standard behaviour for this model?

I've previous experience of an BMW 525 TDS (E34) which had a similar issue with motorway gearing and the boost threshold (set for Germany not England), and a W211 E270 CDI whose throttle pedal was also connected to the engine by 2nd class post, but you could at least two-foot it out of a junction in busier traffic.

No boost leaks. Clicky switch at the end of the throttle pedal travel is being depressed and will cancel the speed limiter. Haven't checked anything more as of yet.

I've run two of these cars and done around 250,000 miles in them.
Their performance is generally very-impressive ... Reliable with good speed and performance with plenty of poke when needed.

Foot-down from a standing-start, and there is a slight delay before take-off.
However, it's something that you soon get used to.

Have you checked the basics ?
Check your air filter.
Performance of these cars is very-dependent on the correct MAF in good condition.
When mine was a bit off-colour, a change of MAF cured all my problems.

Check round your vac pipes in the area of the turbo and related sensors.
Again - These could give you the symptoms described.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom