E211 Uneven Braking

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Crazy Mike

Car
E220 CDi Elegance '02
Hi

Can anyone give any advice on a braking problem I have with my 2002 E220 CDi auto?

Basically, the problem is more noticeable at lower speeds ( 5 - 25mph) and particularly on smooth road surfaces. When braking normally there is a uneveness which results in 'backward - forward' judder :rock: (not sure if judder is the right word but it kind of feels like this icon looks !) There is no pulling from side to side.

The car has had this for 2 years and is getting slowly worse. I've had the front discs & pads replaced (MB OE) and the rears fully checked over in the last year. The car has covered 93K and the recommendation from my MB dealer is to 'brake harder' to heat the pads up and it should go away - which it doesn't !

I have taken the car to 2 independent garages and they also cannot suggest a cure. Can anyone offer advice ?

Thanks
icon7.gif

First check the rear disks thoroughly inside and out for rust, then go for a drive and plant your left foot on the brakes hard and your right foot to the floor.

This will cause the pads to clean the disks and deposit fresh material over the entire disk. If this gives temporary relief then the disks are suffering uneven material transfer and need cleaning.
Uneven transfer gradually becomes worse until it gives noticable judder.

It could be warped disks but unlikely.

Thanks for the advice - so quick! I'm a fairly careful driver so maybe it's the fact I don't brake hard very often that allows this build up.
I'll take the car for a spin and let you know.

If anyone else has other thoughts, I would like to hear.

Thanks again.

Last edited:
Road test

Ok. Took car out today - Right foot down - Left on brake - many times and lots of hard braking over 10 miles of quiet country roads.
Got back home - brakes steaming (well, not quite but hot !). Let cool down for a few hours. Back out on the road and although the problem has not gone away it is a lot better and more bearable.

One thing it's made me realise - the brakes on this E220 are damn good !

Thanks for the advice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom