E220 bhp??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

hindesbeans

Car
E220 & SLK230
Hello all
i am on the verge of buying a 56 plate E220 cdi but i am confused as to what the bhp is! if you take a look on autotrader, some are advertised as 150bhp and some 170bhp. Then if you put a reg number into a insurance site for a quote on a (autotrader) 170bhp car, it may well tell you its actually a 150 bhp.
The time nobody seems to agree what is what is 06, 56, 07 cars but by 57 it seems that all agree on 170bhp.
Other than the bhp difference what other differences are there between the two engines:dk:

The Pre-face lift E220 CDi has 150 bhp whereas the facelift E220 CDi has 170 bhp.

According to parkers, The production date for the 150 bhp version is 15 Oct 2004 -31 May 2006, and the 170 bhp version is 1 Jul 2006-31 Dec 2008.

the facelifted method is how I'd go for it and a facelifted 211 is easy to spot. larger v shaped grille and larger mirrors. the 150bhp engine is what I have, its okay but no ball of fire, 170bhp would be a lot nicer to have,

170BHP from a E220 is only 7 bhp less than the old E300 Turbo Diesels, does anyone know how the torque figures compare?

If you are strapped for cash you could probably uprate the older 150bhp engine with a chip/tuning box conversion but be selective which company you chose for this. There were many improvements other than power to the facelift models, so they are definitely the best bet if you can afford it.

If you are strapped for cash you could probably uprate the older 150bhp engine with a chip/tuning box conversion but be selective which company you chose for this. There were many improvements other than power to the facelift models, so they are definitely the best bet if you can afford it.

Double check the gearbox spec of the preface lift car in case its different, as from memory brabus tuned 220cdis had issues with gearboxes beeing munched by the additional torque/power.

As has been said, it would be a facelift version with the better engine, very easy to spot the facelift. Well worth it over a pre-facelift 150bhp car imo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom