E220 CDI 08 condensation

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rod3nt

Car
Mercedes E220 CDI Avantgarde
I have recently bought an E220 on 08 plate & for no real reason the Windows seem to steam up in a matter of seconds, floor isn't damp, heaters work OK hot & cold, the vents & seals all seem OK.
If anyone can help or give advise would be appreciated ::dk:

Are there any flashing lights on the AC button? I assume you have it on auto so the AC is also on (its lit solid red)

Are there any flashing lights on the AC button? I assume you have it on auto so the AC is also on (its lit solid red)
I don't have the A/C on just the heater fan. I was driving back from east uk and had been driving for approx a hour, when I pulled up to a roundabout, then whoosh all front window instantly steamed up????????? Really confused

I needed to read the owners manual in great detail several times on the heater controls as coming from a much older car I didn't find the modern set up remotely intuitive. They assume you'll just stick it on auto but if you don't it's not at all obvious how to get heating and air flow without the aircon being switched on.

The air con should be on all the time, this prevents the windows from steaming up.

Dec

The air con should be on all the time, this prevents the windows from steaming up.

Dec
Hi guys thanks for your responses. DEC , I'll try it with AC on auto, but is it right to have it in continual? This is the only car I've had that steams up like this & when it's a Merc you'd expect more. Could I have a leak somewhere

It isn't 'normal', whether it's a Merc. or not. The weather is particularly damp at the moment, which doesn't help, but sudden misting as described could be caused by water/moisture somewhere in the heating system.

I would check that the pollen filter has been changed, that the aircon drain pipe is clear (no idea where it is on your car) and that any drains from the bulkhead area (external) aren't blocked by leaves etc..

If you use the a/c for a while and then leave it parked up for a while, a small puddle of water under the car might at least show that the aircon drain is working.

I have my a/c on all the time, summer and winter, that’s what’s recommended.
Have you got the owners manual?

Dec

Yes best to use air con all the time, but you don't have to have it on auto, you can run the AC on directional to which ever vents you want.

Also a little top tip to help prevent steaming up. You know them little gel parcels/packets you get in new electrical item boxes?? Make a big one, one old sock (clean) fill with silica cat litter and tie the end of sock, leave in car and it will soak up moisture.

Long journey today 500 miles so I'll let you all know how it goes
Thanks for support

Yes best to use air con all the time, but you don't have to have it on auto, you can run the AC on directional to which ever vents you want.

Also a little top tip to help prevent steaming up. You know them little gel parcels/packets you get in new electrical item boxes?? Make a big one, one old sock (clean) fill with silica cat litter and tie the end of sock, leave in car and it will soak up moisture.

or just buy a moisture absorber!
1.5 KG X 2 VEHICLE/CAR/HOME DEHUMIDIFIER BAG RE-USABLE MOISTURE ABSORBER/DAMP EATER - SUPER

Tony.

Well journey went well, thanks all AC on Auto all the time no condensation, but soon as I ran car on heater only and turned AC off whoosh total steamed up, still doesn't make sense shouldn't steam up like that but looks like AC on may be the answer. The wife makes Silica Gel in her job so have put some of these in the car. Hope this is problem solved or sorted should I say because it's still there

I can run without AC and not steam up when it's not raining, with rain I have the AC on, also air should not be on recirculate, pretty sure if recirculate is on the car turns it off anyway after x mins.

Some ac evaporators did not drain very well in those models and there was an official mb bulletin to fix, not a recall!. Don't leave the ac off for too long because stale moisture in the system may create odours and bacteria. Also it would be a good idea to use annually a deodorant spray for the ac to disinfect the system. No need for expensive stuff.

I understand it that the aircon should be left on to lubricate the seals.

Something about oil molecules in the aircon gas keeping the seals from drying out?

BTW my W211 also mists up pretty quickly if air left off.

I had the same issue in the wife's Peugeot 207 and more recently her Fiat 500 - change the pollen filter. They're paper and absorb moisture if the car isn't used much/left parked for a while. Only about £15 - Google "Puravent" I've bought activated carbon pollen filters for several cars from them at very good prices. Or if your're feeling very cheap and the existing pollen filter doesn't look too grubby, take it out and put it on top of a radiator overnight to dry it out. You'll almost certainly see an improvement!

I had the same issue in the wife's Peugeot 207 and more recently her Fiat 500 - change the pollen filter. They're paper and absorb moisture if the car isn't used much/left parked for a while. Only about £15 - Google "Puravent" I've bought activated carbon pollen filters for several cars from them at very good prices. Or if your're feeling very cheap and the existing pollen filter doesn't look too grubby, take it out and put it on top of a radiator overnight to dry it out. You'll almost certainly see an improvement!

By the way it's easy to change on a w211 - top right corner under the bonnet when stood at the front looking back. FAR easier than scrabbling around in the footwell of the W210 which'll give you a cricked neck!

Last edited:
This thread response has been brilliant thanks to ALL , I'll always drive with air con on now ,

Just need to get my kick back sorted now just doesn't stay in lower gear before trying to go back to top gear

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom