E220 CDi Alternator 'Replace or Recondition?'

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Denise

2000 E220CDi Alternator was about to be replaced today, with a 'service exchanged' Bosch Unit, however the wrong model alternator was delivered to the garage and so the garage will have to wait until tomorrow to get it exchanged for the right one and then get it fitted.

The cost? £550 INC VAT and Fitting

(was thinking of having the old one reconditioned with the faulty parts of it replaced - however have been advised not to do this by the garage, as reconditioned alternator parts tend to go faulty quite often sometimes within weeks/months of being fitted, and that if does go faulty after having it fitted it will mean paying £100 labour just to take the alternator out again. The garage said if anything does go wrong with the new one being fitted tomorrow it will be repaired for free within 12 months)

garage said its 'knackard'

but the Alternator reconditioning people said they will complete a FREE diagnosis on the faulty one to pinpoint what is wrong, and the cost of fixing it up.

alteranator place said it could be summut simple costing £18 to replace like a diode pack or a fully lot costing up to £300

mind games occupying on a very tired brain!

Do i 'recondition or replace' ???

HELP !!! :crazy:

Recon it , without a doubt - so long as it is a good shop , you shouldn'y have any problems . The only caveat is the condition of the shaft if the unit has a built in vac pump - if there is any wear , you run the risk of an oil leak ruining your new alternator

Deffo go down the rebuild route, the garage are just trying to make you spend money with them.
What do you think a Bosch reconditioned unit is...a refurb the same as your local inde reconditioner will do.

I can't remember what's wrong with your alternator?

hi there i went to the alternator reconditioners, unlike most so called auto-electricians who stick an amp-meter call it a 'diagnostic test' then charge £35+VAT to do - these guys were really upfront as they are they stripped then tested the alternator all for free!, and they extend this privallage to all customers. (anyway it took them about an hour to do altogether - as my unit was a tough one to strip!).

What they said confirmed what was already said by the garage that the alternator was dead. Two bits needed replacing which would cost circa £300 and would be done for in three days! they suggested - quite nice of them that i was much better getting a new one (reconditioned) from bosch for £75 extra. they then put the faulty alternator back together and gave it me back, its now sat in my drive!

Anyway my car at this moment is stuck in a garage, with an replacement alternator 'almost' fitted il prob pick it up tomorrow sometime! hopefully the bill is still £550 (which i have been quoted as being fitted with VAT) and these are the last problems i have with this car until next winter!

(Dieselman - my alternator was not charging the battery - the problem!)

piked up car todat

the bill £662

never again !

so i am selling up

id rather put my money into a house extension than pay endless bills to look good

my DIY toyota corolla will do me fine!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom