E220 CDI Battery currently 36% charged

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nickiandboris

Guys

Just had my battery checked(free winter check at ATS) and its come back with being 36% charged(the guy said to replace). I keep getting the battery convenience message now i know why. The thing is the battery is only 2 years old and im concerned that it might be the alternator not charging the battery or alternatively the battery is faulty....

I assume the easiest way to troubleshoot this is to buy a new battery(Bosch) and take it from there.

Any advice would be appreciated......

Thanks

Nick

How long is your typical daily journey/s, if you do a lot of short trips the battery never gets fully charged.

Dec

Hi Dec

10-20 mins so i assume the battery never gets fully charged ;-( I did a 100 mile around trip yesterday but its not charging the battery so i may have killed the battery of 2 years of short journeys. Is that how it works, apologies i'm a bit of a doughnut when it comes to cars ;-)

Thanks

Nick

Does this model have just the one battery ?
As one of my cars has a second one for the convenience functions.
As Dec says needs regular and decent runs, my wife runs our E 320 only 4 mile journeys and this takes its toll in winter.
Also to note that modern batteries do not appear to last that long.

Not convinced that as it is only 36% charged means replace though they can do a test to see if it will hold a full charge.

Think we had one pack in the day before its one year or two year warranty- the wife took it back. And had it replaced.

I’m no expert myself but short trips will reduce the life of a battery, is your battery a good brand like Bosch / Exit /Varta of perhaps a cheap brand with a meaningless name like UltraPlus or Super Plus and has a label devoid of any technical information.

If you can source locally one of these here…. 12V/24 Volt Meter Digital LED Voltage Gauge Car Voltmeter Tester Fashion | eBay ... the are very useful for displaying the condition of the battery before you start up and also the running voltage, while driving.

Also… Newest 12V/24V Digital LED Car Vehicle Auto Voltmeter Voltage Gauge Volt Meter | eBay

Dec

The battery is a Bosch and is only around 2 years old. Do you know if I was to obtain a Bosch battery is it a DIY job to do yourself? I'm sure i read that you cannot disconnect the battery as you can damage the ECU(i hope i didnt make that up) .

Thanks

You don’t say what year the car is? On later cars you can make balls of it if you don’t know what you are doing. If you aren’t familiar with changing the battery, its best to have someone experienced change it for you.

That Bosch battery should have lasted a lot longer than 2 years… even with the low mileages… is it still under guarantee? you should get a battery charger and charge up the battery to see how it performs before buying another.

When you are working on the battery ALWAYS have the ignition key in your pocket and turn off all electrics.

Disconnect the Negative battery lead first.
Then disconnect the Positive lead last.

The reverse is true when fitting the new battery.

Reconnect the Positive battery lead first.
Then Reconnect the Negative lead last.

Dec

Edit, have you got a Users Manual for your car?

Last edited:
Hi, its a 2003(53 reg). Will call the mechanic tomorrow morning to discuss the warranty on the battery. To be honest I think I'll get an experienced MB person to change this .

Thanks

Hi

Quick update on the events, I visited PCS garage(Olly/Jack forum members). Its turned out to be the alternator ;-( had a feeling that deep down it would be.
Anyway they replaced it and all is working again. Thanks for your help and suggestion Dec.

Nick

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom