e220 chip tune

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

yurecz

Car
e280
recently my mate done chip tune on his e220 (08 plate) as a result 205 bhp
are there any minuses of chiping it
my e280 190 bhp so feel a bit jealous thinking of chiping it too
do i have to be aware of some problems after it ?

It puts the insurance up about 150% and you are asking more from the drivetrain. If you don't boot it all the time it should hurt too much

Chips are old technology. You will get a much better power curve from a ECU remap,

Same applies for remap insurance wise, my premium is £275 stock £350 chipped/remapped

Same applies for remap insurance wise, my premium is £275 stock £350 chipped/remapped

Of course there is no way for the insurance company to know if it is chipped or not. Not condoning this, but most people who remap their cars never inform their insurance because they can't tell one way or the other.

It puts the insurance up about 150% and you are asking more from the drivetrain. If you don't boot it all the time it should hurt too much

150% seems a bit excessive. :eek: Mine went up with the map and exhaust mods by about £70, or 10% of the premium.

This seems a bit more like it. :D

Of course there is no way for the insurance company to know if it is chipped or not. Not condoning this, but most people who remap their cars never inform their insurance because they can't tell one way or the other.

I understand where you're coming from here, and know that lots do it, though if you are involved in a serious accident which would involve an engineers report it may be worth considering that they may void your insurance for undeclared modifications.

Motorvating said:

Couldn't disagree more.its very easy to tell if an ecu has been mapped profanity chip has been added. The question is down to accident claim
Costs, if someone died or there was a lot of vehicle damage they will investigate, if your car is worth£3k and you had an accident on your own they probably won't

daveenty said:
Pretty much how I see it as well. :) Love predictive text. :D (Or if a)

Lol I normally spot them before posting but this is a particularly good one lol, I normally get them because the mbclub app doesn't go full size on my iPhone screen so the space at is 8mm higher than it normally is.

Couldn't disagree more.its very easy to tell if an ecu has been mapped profanity chip has been added. The question is down to accident claim
Costs, if someone died or there was a lot of vehicle damage they will investigate, if your car is worth£3k and you had an accident on your own they probably won't

The only way you can tell is by connecting a diagnostic machine onto the ECU. I've been round the block far to many times, and been into the rodding and custom scene since I stopped wearing nappies, and I have never come across anybody who has been in a serious accident get pulled up for a mapped ECU.

I was more concern about damage it could cause im hoping not to get into accident (last 15 years free of accidents so...) not sure about his e220 was remaped or chipped ( cpu was taken off the car he was doing something with it in his van ) if that remapping thing causing no damage to car i guess it worth doing it (mine is e280 and he said it wont need to be taken off the car) more power more economy (had e320 before on my opinion it was much better engine with more power and economy)

I was more concern about damage it could cause im hoping not to get into accident (last 15 years free of accidents so...) not sure about his e220 was remaped or chipped ( cpu was taken off the car he was doing something with it in his van ) if that remapping thing causing no damage to car i guess it worth doing it (mine is e280 and he said it wont need to be taken off the car) more power more economy (had e320 before on my opinion it was much better engine with more power and economy)

A sensible map will do no damage. Because engines have to perform in all climates and atmospheres, the best default configuration that will run half decent in all these spheres are used. Luckily for us we live in a temperate climate so are able to change the power curve to gain power throughout the whole curve without engine damage, meaning you don't have to reach certain RPM to kick the Turbo in so losing much of the annoying turbo lag. A mapped engine means less gear changes as you have more grunt lower down the range, you can take corners in lower gears so saving you fuel. Yes you can knacker your engine if you map it and then thrash it around, but there again you can do the same thing in a car that isn't mapped. Every car I have I map, it makes the car so much more usable and makes it safer because if I'm in a dodgy situation I have the extra ummph to get out of it if that is what is required.

If yu old motor was chipped, it would have a plug and play box connected, you would see it.

Pretty much how I see it as well. :)

Love predictive text. :D (Or if a)

Not so sure about this, what are the tolerances on a standard ecu, They all come out of a box and are fitted to cars, why do some cars our perform others of the same model? I don't really know how the ecu works so could be asking a load of :D

Benzowner said:
Not so sure about this, what are the tolerances on a standard ecu, They all come out of a box and are fitted to cars, why do some cars our perform others of the same model? I don't really know how the ecu works so could be asking a load of :D

It's really simple actually, all Ecu's have the same "image" the reason some cars perform better than others is because this standard "image" suits some cars more than others.

To check if a car has been remapped is just a case of comparing the current ecu image to the standard image.

Spotting a chip addition is easier you just follow the fuel rail pressure wire.

Steve

Steve, referring to insurance remap detection...how many incidents do you know of were this has happened? ie. insurance companies analysing and overlaying ECU curve?

It's really simple actually, all Ecu's have the same "image" the reason some cars perform better than others is because this standard "image" suits some cars more than others.

To check if a car has been remapped is just a case of comparing the current ecu image to the standard image.

Spotting a chip addition is easier you just follow the fuel rail pressure wire.

Steve

DSB SL AMG said:
Steve, referring to insurance remap detection...how many incidents do you know of were this has happened? ie. insurance companies analysing and overlaying ECU curve?

Doesn't matter, I've never looked into it but it's not something I would risk.

Even if I only wrote my car off that's £10k I don't have but if God forbid I kill someone I can't think where I would get the money to pay that compensation :-S

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom