E220 Coolant

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

xrm88

Car
E220 CDI
Afternoon guys,

Had my 2011 E220 just under a month and have already had to take it back to the dealer with a failed air suspension bag and now we have the ‘top up coolant’ warning on the dash.
I’ve rang MB and the guy said any green coolant will do?!
Question is, do these cars just need topping up or do they have coolant issues?

Cheers

Any coolant won't do. Get the right MB stuff using your chassis no. If its an OM 651 4 cylinder diesel engine the water pumps are known to leak as is the EGR secondary heat exchanger. Do not ignore a coolant low warning light- they should not lose coolant

Post up your vin number -its on top of the dashboard passenger side it will start WDD212*********** or similar -or check your registration document the vin number and engine no are both on there- the engine number will start OM651**********

WDD2122022A346346

Ok thank you. Where did you find this out?
I’m taking the car back to the dealer first thing in morning! He says pipes aren’t covered under warranty but the water pump for example is.
How much could I be looking at if it’s a leak from a pipe?

It’s probably water pump or as grober mentioned egr heat exchanger. What is the current mileage? Water pumps usually start leaking at around 100k miles.

Flexible pipes are cheap enough-- problem in todays cluttered engine compartments sometimes is getting access and posssibly a partial or full coolant drain down putting up labour costs- depends where it is. Locating the leak is often the difficult bit!

Do both the waterpump and also the fuel filter coolant inlet outlet housing is common as they've redesigned both parts .

They will only replace defective parts under warranty- not as a precaution unless said part is subject to a factory recall.

I guess they’ll pressure test the system to find the leak?

So garage had a very quick look just now... few drops of the green coolant on their workshop floor which he says is good because it won’t be the head gasket failing (worst case scenario he said).
Drops were smack bang under middle of engine, coming off the under tray.

Maybe if they were to take the undertray off----------------???? ;)
Up on a ramp with an cordless impact wrench and suitable socket /extension this should be a matter of a few minutes. With so many underbody maintenance/repair operations involving this step any decent MB tech can do this with his eyes closed!:confused:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom