E220 Estate; real life opinions.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

riaz

Do you feel the engine is adequate? Do you regret not getting E250?

Keen for some opinions from genuine users.

Ta in advance

I have a 2006 S211 E220CDI, so no E250 option for me at that age. I'm more than happy with its 170PS/400Nm: very rarely would I have used any available extra performance. I did consider the E280 & 320 but have no regrets with my choice after nearly 3 years and 70k miles of ownership.

The car has towed a folding caravan thingy and been loaded to the gunwales without feeling sluggish.

I have driven much faster cars, up to an XF-R.

I have had a 2003 W203 C220 Classic saloon manual, a 2006 S203 C220 Avantgarde SE estate 5 speed auto, a 2009 S211 E220 Avantgarde Estate 5 speed auto and I currently drive a 2014 S212 E220 SE estate 7 speed auto.

You could say that I'm quite fond of this engine.

I'm not as young as I was and drive a bit more sensibly now. My last speeding ticket was in 2009. Ive never wanted more oomph in any of these cars.

Cheers, just been to dealer and E220 is specable but on the mbuk website online Configurator the E220 is not there, only E250 and larger. Is this a glitch or is the E220 being discontinued? Additionally online comes up with premium and premium plus packages but these are not in the printed brochure.

I understand that the spec is changing for September onwards deliveries. SE will have premium and Premium Plus choices. AMG sport is changing to AMG line and again is available in Premium and premium plus.

Not guranteed to be the same, but you can look at current C class to get an idea of spec of premium and premium plus

The 220 is still there. If you want an idea of prices, drivethedeal.com is already updated to latest choices and associated additional options.

cheers, Steve

Also, too early for me to give a valued position as I've only done 500 miles in my 220 estate, but it's exactly the same engine as 250 bar the state of tune settings by MB. Personally, I decided to order 220 and go for a remap/tuning box after 1-2000 miles, that brings it up to the same spec as the 250.

Thanks

Steve

Last edited:
Also, too early for me to give a valued position as I've only done 500 miles in my 220 estate, but it's exactly the same engine as 250 bar the state of tune settings by MB. Personally, I decided to order 220 and go for a remap/tuning box after 1-2000 miles, that brings it up to the same spec as the 250.

Thanks

Steve

Thanks, and presumably you feel the stock car is a bit underpowered hence the remap? If so do you feel it underpowered in normal driving or only when pushing (ie overtaking on motorway).

Thanks, and presumably you feel the stock car is a bit underpowered hence the remap? If so do you feel it underpowered in normal driving or only when pushing (ie overtaking on motorway).

No, I'm not saying it's underpowered, I have a had, until Moday, a similar weight estate with a 170hp diesel engine sitting on the driveway that's fine, but for the sake of a remap I'm more than happy with the extra torque being available.

Personally, I just have an issue with paying MB £2,500 for a remap, when I can buy one with a rolling road session for ~£500, hence the 220 purchase not 250. I've remapped a number of vehicles over the last 9 years without issue, so I'm comfortable with going down this route, and equally ok with folks who want to order a 250 with the zero hassle and no warranty worries that brings.

cheers, Steve

I've has my 2013 E220Cdi SE Estate for 17 months and 55,000 miles now.

Never, ever have I thought "I wish I had the bigger engine".

Its very smooth, very economical, very quiet, and its plenty quick enough.

I do lots of miles for work pounding the motorways, never an issue.

I also tow 1650kg caravan, never an issue at all. Towing up the M5 long drag out of Bristol with the cruise control set at 65mph. Retained that all the way up (its flippin' steep I tell you!) and only dropped down to 5th.

I would have another in an instant. I did test drive the 250, it did feel a bit more spritely, but not enough to make me want it.

Very happy with the choice, wouldn't change it at all.

Fascinating. Even in my w212 e350 cdi, i drop the gear one or two clics up steep motorway hills. Sounds like e220 is the one to go for

Fascinating. Even in my w212 e350 cdi, i drop the gear one or two clics up steep motorway hills. Sounds like e220 is the one to go for

I suspect this has more to do with how you like to drive your car than the need to do this.

Personally, my estate is the family hack, and as such having a 170/204 hp engine is more than enough for general UK driving. If I wanted diesel saloon or estate with a bit of go, the modest output of the e350 wouldn't be good enough, and I suspect I'd buy an Alpina D5 estate.

cheers, Steve

Do you feel the engine is adequate? Do you regret not getting E250?

Keen for some opinions from genuine users.

Ta in advance

I came to the E220 from a string of cars with more than 4 cylinders to their diesel engine - a couple of S60 D5s, a 330d and an Alfa 156 20v. I was initially looking for something with a similar "more than 4 cylinder" engine and the thought of a car as big as the E with an auto and only 170hp wasnt getting me excited.

However, I do a lot of miles so i needed decent fuel economy and so bit the bullet and hoped.... and have never regretted it.

40k miles in one year and never felt it underpowered. Since picked up a VW Passat 2.0TDi estate from work (but kept the Merc for now!) - that does from time to time feel underpowered and need rowing along as its a manual and high geared.

So in my experience, no need to go for the 250, the 220 will do the job fine. I'm led to believe that the 250 is less refined - given the 220 isnt the last word in refinement that would be enough to make me want to save the money!

KR
Ian

PS i'm no boy racer any more and do try to drive sensibly, but my other car (well the wife thinks it is hers..) is a Golf GTI Performance Pack with 230hp!

go big

New to the forums ....So Hi...

I drove a c220 cdi 2001 6 speed manual estate, until about 6 weeks ago.

Not much to say.....It most definitely an awesome engine.
Economically.....Cheap to run 60mpg on highway. Performance when you needed it (....to get you out of trouble).

I got rid because it was time to stop spending money on it......Bitsy was a money pit.... The B*tch was worth it!

Now i have just bought a nearly new E350 estate...I you are buying an E class you are defiantly missing out. I did test the smaller engines. And decided that i could afford the E63 just yet.....

I am seriously considering the D6s treatment.......

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom