E220 or E280/320 – which would you choose?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

D-18

SUPPORTER
Car
Jaguar XF 3.0 Portfolio
I’ve recently changed from a W211 E220 AG CDI to a W211 E280 AG CDI – both were registered in 2009. Was it a worthwhile exercise? For me, absolutely yes. For the avoidance of doubt, I don’t believe that trundling around in any E Class is too much of a chore, it’s just that certain aspects of motoring matter more to some people than others. The following represents my own opinion and is not intended to denigrate anyone else’s choice – it would be a pretty dull world if we all thought the same thing!

I have driven petrol V6’s for years and bought my first diesel powered car (the E220) in December 2009. In retrospect, downgrading to diesel power and reverting to a four cylinder engine was probably too drastic a change for me to accommodate simultaneously.

E220: At idle, driving in town or accelerating, I never really got used to the racket from under the hood which seemed completely at odds with the general refinement of the E Class. The engine, with its Lanchester balance shaft, was always smooth but a bit too raucous for my taste. I always felt I should have had ‘Airport Taxi’ stickers on the doors to complete the package.

On the open road things changed, the E220 was a very relaxed and quiet cruiser. The diesel din faded away to the background and the club-class cabin environment was soothing. Despite the lowly E220 boot lid nomenclature, the 170 horsepower engine was quite sufficient for my needs and I never felt there was any lack of performance when going for overtakes. It was always plain that there were only four cylinders up front, but they made a pretty fair job of dragging this large car along.

The 5G transmission was normally very smooth when warm but decidedly lumpy when cold. The latest software (which also reduces the idle speed by about about 100rpm when in ‘C’ mode – 220 owners, check with your garage, this is definitely a worthwhile upgrade) helped. As a minor point, the smooth rear bumper with hidden exhaust tailpipe looked much better to me than the large bore visible pipes on the E280 / E320 - which are more akin to something I’d expect to see on a boy-racer Astra.

E280: The main reason to change from a 220 is the V6 engine. It’s still a diesel, but a far quieter beast with a much more pleasing engine note than its four pot sibling and at a lower idle speed too. Starting / stopping the engine does not result in the car lurching from side to side. Town driving feels much more ‘waftable’ than the 220. The sensation is of a smoother takeup of drive and effortless progress – exactly what an E Class should be. Pottering along at 30mph gives a virtually inaudible 1,000 rpm. There is still a trace of diesel clatter when moving off from rest, but the 6 piece band under the hood plays a much sweeter melody than the E220’s quartet.

On the open road, the noise level is generally lower than the 220 – not a huge difference, but enough to be noticeable. Despite the extra 100Kgs kerb weight, the 280 suspension seems slightly more compliant than the 220. The additional mass can be felt on the corners though and the 220 is probably a touch more agile though the bends. The straightline performance of the 280 is obviously better than the 220, the differences between the two becoming more apparent as speeds rise. In normal day-to-day motoring however, the 220 is perfectly adequate. What the V6 does provide, is an engine that is much more on top of its job and feels completely unstressed as a result.

So far, the 7G transmission seems an excellent match to the engine. Cold start shifts are much better than those of the 5G and warm shifting is very smooth too. There is the occasional sharp downshift, usually when cold, but otherwise the box is pretty good.

The E280 has speed sensitive steering which provides more assistance at low speed. Personally I like this, but can understand if the change from very light to slightly heavy steering would irritate some drivers as the transition between the two modes doesn’t seem to be particularly linear.

So there you have it. On the basis of my very limited empirical evidence, I’d take a V6 anyday over a four pot. I know some can’t see the point of the 280 when the 320 offers up a lot more oomph for the same fuel consumption, but the 280 was available when I wanted it. My priority was a smoother / quieter engine than the 220 and the 280 serves up that dish very nicely.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom