E220 Timing Chain

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ccckeeper

Car
1996 W124 E220
Hi Everyone im new to the forum here and hope you can help.
I have a 1996 E220 w124 with the 2.2 dohc engine 165k miles. The Timing chain needs replacing, my question is can I buy a kit from somewhere with chain, guides tentioner etc? Is is fairly straight forward job or does the head need to be removed?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.:D

You don't have to remove the cylinder head but you will have to remove most of the ancilliaries from the front of the engine plus the thermosat housing waterpump and timing chain cover. You can do it without removing the engine. Relatively straight forward but difficult to get everything oil and water tight afterwards on re-assembly. You will have to take great care to get the cam timing right and re-assemble the tensioner correctly. This is a job only a very experienced DIY mechanic should attempt. The fact you have to ask about what's involved maybe means you're maybe not in that category?? The rebuild is all detailed in the HAYNES C class manual. Your best bet for all the parts involved is your local MB dealer. http://www.haynes.co.uk/webapp/wcs/...ctId=13007&langId=-1&parent_category_rn=10215

Last edited:
Thanks for the info guys. The E220 is my daily driver but most of my experience is with Pontiac V8s, I hate letting garages work on my cars and prefer to do the work myself (cheaper this way and you know whats been done). I will let you know how I get on. By the way the car drives great but rattles like a diesel from the timing chain area.:)

Thanks for the info guys. The E220 is my daily driver but most of my experience is with Pontiac V8s, I hate letting garages work on my cars and prefer to do the work myself (cheaper this way and you know whats been done). I will let you know how I get on. By the way the car drives great but rattles like a diesel from the timing chain area.:)

Check the belt tensioner first, the the vacuum advance unit on the front of the camshaft, both can sound like chain rattles.

Richard

Last edited:
Thats my advice too. At 165k miles the belt tensioner will be completely shot and the engine will sound like a bag of nails. If the car has had regular oil changes then it is very unlikely that the chain will be the culprit. This should save you hours of work and ££££ of money!

At 165k miles I would be checking the chain on a 220. I know someone whose let go at about 185K miles.

A bit off topic (sorry for the hijack) but when if the worry time for timing chains for most MB or more specifically a w202 that has been serviced very regularly? (143K at the moment, serviced every 6 months)

Nik

Last edited:
My personal thought is that ccckeeper is right on the money for a check and possible chain at 165K.

is it a single chain on the 220?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom