E220 V 320CDi

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Druk

Gone but not forgotten - RIP
Car
2011 S212 E350CDi. 1981 R107 300TurboDiesel.
Asking to compare an S212 E220CDi BlueEfficiency with an S211 E320CDi (S6) insofar as driver involvement and towing capability goes :dk:...what does the panel think?

I pull a large 1700KG caravan and wondered how the 220 would cope in comparison to the 320 which is brill.

I would prefer the S211E320 cdi - the engine is made for that size of car - more torque and bhp and i would like having the money in my pocket having not purchased the newer car. use some of this money to buy a good warranty from warranty direct.

I would prefer the S211E320 cdi - the engine is made for that size of car - more torque and bhp and i would like having the money in my pocket having not purchased the newer car. use some of this money to buy a good warranty from warranty direct.

That's what's bothering me. I've got the 320CDi and have had for 6+ years but am thinking of something newer. There's a 220 popped up near me for a decent price but I'm not sure if I can live with the 4cyl engine. Not after the I6 anyways.

I've towed with both a W210 E220cdi (150bhp) and a W211 E320cdi (204bhp). Both trailers with cars on and weight would have been 1900-2000kg.

The 320cdi has enough torque to pull twice or 3 times the rated weight if stability and braking weren't the limiting factor. You will never need to worry, it has so much in reserve.

The 220cdi was adequate and only needed to kick down for the long up hill stretches of the M3 by Winchester.

Cruise control set at 60mph and both were effortless.

Both returned similar mpg whilst towing.

These days I use either a V220cdi or a ML270cdi for towing. Both do the job well but are around 10mpg down on the estate cars. W638 V220cdi is the most stable tow car I've ever driven but it does lack power with a heavy trailer and the VW gearbox isn't great when under strain.

Can't help with the car info but I have four vans and the one which regularly carries the least % capacity of its payload is the one that we have the least, in fact none at all, trouble with

I'd certainly go for the bigger engined one every time

I can't comment on the towing capabilities, but the 6 pot motor would swing it for me every time.

I'm not sure if I can live with the 4cyl engine. Not after the I6 anyways.

I went from years of driving petrol V6's to a E220 CDI and it was a mistake, I just couldn't get on with the 4 pot clatter and ended up changing it for a V6. I know you are much more a fan of diesels than myself, but I still think you'd miss the 6 cylinders. Having said that, LTD swapped his petrol V8 for an E220 CDI and he's perfectly happy! You pays your money.......

Why change to a 320Cdi, wait for a bit longer and go for a 350Cdi.

The W212 E220CDI has almost the same amount of horsepower and torque as my old W210 shape E320CDI. It's pretty incredible what they do nowadays with the small four pot.

Of course, I upgraded to the E350CDI, and yesterday did a timed 0-60 in just under six seconds (which is even faster than I thought it would be), but if you don't need ridiculously fast then the W212 E220 should have plenty of pull for towing...

I tow about 1750kg with my E220. Its just fine. No issues, lovely towcar. Does about 47mpg solo, 30mpg towing.

The 6 pot would be nice, but if you're after a towing report from an existing S212 220 owner, consider it recommended!!

Why change to a 320Cdi, wait for a bit longer and go for a 350Cdi.

Thanks Will. I'm casually looking to replace the 320 and have been concentrating mainly on 350's. However they are in short supply with the options I prefer in my price bracket and a nice 220 has popped up locally with a nice spec and £2000 cheaper than most 350's.

Just wondering out loud if I would come to regret the smaller engine after enjoying the I6 for so long. My mate who had a V6CDi and tested a 220 thinks the engine harshness would be a downer.

D.

Just wondering out loud if I would come to regret the smaller engine after enjoying the I6 for so long. My mate who had a V6CDi and tested a 220 thinks the engine harshness would be a downer.

Exactly my findings recently.

The engine noise in a W212 isn't too much of an issue as the car is noisier than my old W210, but I then tried a CLS and it wasn't a good experience. The car was quieter, so engine noise was more intrusive.

As a stopgap, I've bought a C-Coupe. The whole car is noisier so the engine doesn't matter so much, but given the choice, go for a V6-350cdi.

You've not got a tight time frame so just run yours until something turns up.
I saw a very nice 350cdi estate at auction last week. 128k miles in three years, but it looked immaculate.
Within six months a lot more 265Bhp 350 will come available as they come off lease.

By S6 do you mean the IL6 unit. If so that will be quite an old car (pre 06 plate). With your S212 220 money available, there will be a number of well specced facelift V6's around - am I missing something here :confused:.

By S6 do you mean the IL6 unit.

Yes...S6 a typo although it does seem to me to be a better description of a straight pot engine.

If so that will be quite an old car (pre 06 plate). With your S212 220 money available, there will be a number of well specced facelift V6's around - am I missing something here :confused:.

53 plate 160000mls. Just had a norie (sp?) for something newer: and as DM says.........^

I find the 4 pot diesel in the 212 to be well shielded from the cabin, definitely more so than the 220cdi in the W210. It's been a couple of years since I drove a W211 with a 4 pot diesel to compare all 3.

There is more road noise through tyres in the 212 that's for sure.

As far as V6 cdi, I don't feel the early V6 is much of a step up from the I6 personally. Fuel economy is worse, sounds more diesely and reliability is certainly a lot worse.
I really enjoy the 7g box though, when they're working well they're a big improvement over the old 5g.

I'd certainly recommend taking the 220 for a test drive before you make your mind up based on others opinions.

I find the 4 pot diesel in the 212 to be well shielded from the cabin, definitely more so than the 220cdi in the W210.

.....and it's better than the W211 E220 too. I had a W212 E250 as a courtesy car and it was considerably quieter than the W211 E220 I had at the time. Still prefer more than 4 cylinders though....

I like an I6 as much as the next guy - better still, a V8. Fact is tho', we're being steathily conditioned to accept fewer cylinders. If the torque and bhp figures stack up then what does it matter - apart from the fact it's a crummy 4-cyl jobby. :rolleyes:

Ford are palming us off withh 3 cylinders - up to a Mondeo (?) Volvo have lopped a cylinder off their hot motors. BMW M5s went from 6 to 8 then 10 and are now back to 8. VW Golf GTIs came with 5 and 6 cylinders but the 'R' is back to a 4 cyl 2 litre.

The model designation of Mercedes and BMW generally used to indicate their cc. Now you have to divide every figure by two! :rolleyes:

In the good old days my BMW 325 meant a beefy 170 bhp IL 6 cylinder - what's the equivalent today?

Last edited:
I like an I6 as much as the next guy - better still, a V8. Fact is tho', we're being steathily conditioned to accept fewer cylinders. If the torque and bhp figures stack up then what does it matter - apart from the fact it's a crummy 4-cyl jobby. :rolleyes:

Ford are palming us off with 3 cylinders -

All fine apart from noise and refinement.
A 3 cylinder is naturally smoother than a straight four cylinder.

Perhaps if Mercedes developed a nice sounding flat four diesel. At least no noise would transfer through to the body-shell.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom