E220 W211 (2008) Driveshaft replacement?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

starlight

Car
C220d AMG Premium Line Plus (2018)
I use M-B dealers to service my E220 (W211, 2008) to preserve the Mobilo cover, but if anything substantial needs done I give the work to an excellent local indie.

When the car was being serviced today, the workshop reported a grease leak from the rear driveshaft CVJ. They thought it had been leaking for some time. In the video dealers now send you, the technician says it needs replaced, but the work didn't turn up in the written report. Apparently, the technician said if it was his car he won't bother.

I've attached a screen capture from the dealer's video, although there's a bit more leaking grease that is evident.

Anyway, a couple of questions:

1. I think the dealer is right: the whole driveshaft would need replaced?
2. If so, any idea how much this would cost?

Also, the car has done 81,000 miles and it's been really, really light on my pocket. I don't want to part company with it - but at the same time I don't want saddled with a money pit (especially since the car is only worth £6k).

Is it a keeper, based on community members' experiences, or am I better to bail now?

Attachments

• Driveshaft.jpg
    Driveshaft.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 27
I am facing a similar issue.

I have tried a universal boot, however, this has failed. So I might try a used driveshaft next.

I use M-B dealers to service my E220 (W211, 2008) to preserve the Mobilo cover, but if anything substantial needs done I give the work to an excellent local indie.

When the car was being serviced today, the workshop reported a grease leak from the rear driveshaft CVJ. They thought it had been leaking for some time. In the video dealers now send you, the technician says it needs replaced, but the work didn't turn up in the written report. Apparently, the technician said if it was his car he won't bother.

I've attached a screen capture from the dealer's video, although there's a bit more leaking grease that is evident.

Anyway, a couple of questions:

1. I think the dealer is right: the whole driveshaft would need replaced?
2. If so, any idea how much this would cost?

Also, the car has done 81,000 miles and it's been really, really light on my pocket. I don't want to part company with it - but at the same time I don't want saddled with a money pit (especially since the car is only worth £6k).

Is it a keeper, based on community members' experiences, or am I better to bail now?

Have the work carried out at an indie instead of MB and it will be considerably cheaper

CV Boots are readily available - Halfshafts are a different kettle of fish though..I'm running a set of these on my Vito and so far so good..so have a look and see what you think.. stay away from JR as well, "you pays yer monies ya takes yer chances"

PrimeLine Europe

It rather looks as if the CV boot fixing is missing, try and refill the boot with CV grease and get a new clip on it. Are you getting any noises from it, clicking etc ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom