E220 W211 iPhone cradle removal

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Crustyoldbloke

Car
E220 CDi (W211) 2008
Hello

I am after some advice on this topic. I have an iPhone cradle fitted into the centre armrest, I believe it is this part A2048203951. I don't have an iPhone, just a 3G Samsung, which pairs OK with the cradle, but I cannot get past the pairing part of the installation. My phone is not compatible with the cradle and I cannot access the car's inbuilt menu.

My question is about removal of the cradle. If I remove it, should I then be able to use my phone via the car's bluetooth? Does anyone have any tips on removing the cradle?

Thanks

Update

Update:

I removed the cradle (pressed a release button and slid the cradle downwards), but now I cannot pair with the car via Bluetooth at all.

Is there something I have to do to get the two yellow lamps in the armrest to start flashing, so that my phone will detect the signal and pair?

Thanks

Hi,

If the car is the facelifted model year 2009 (mid 2008 onwards) then you need to deselect the convenience phone option in the telephone menu on the comand.

If you have the earlier car then there isnt any built in bluetooth for phones. You need to use a cradle on the UHI connector that you have in the centre armrest.

Thanks Alfie, that would explain the enigma. Mine is the one with the two oval headlamps, but it does have the shark-fin aerial fitted to the roof.

With the iPhone cradle fitted, there is a Bluetooth signal, but no access to the phone menu for set-up purposes, so my Samsung Galaxy can go no further. Without the cradle, there is nothing giving out a Bluetooth signal.

Maybe I could buy a 3G iPhone and just leave it in the car.

BTW, what are the two yellow lights for in the armrest?

Hello

Sorry for hijacking the thread, but I have quite a similar problem. I own a w204 with Comand and just removed the cradle in the centre armrest - it was taking too much space. The problem is now bluetooth telephony has stopped working.
Any ideas how to fix it?
Can it be fixed in the engineering menu or do I really need to put that thing back?

Thank you,

Yellow lights in armrest come on if ac is on and lights are on. It's to light up the cool box

Thanks Alfie, that would explain the enigma. Mine is the one with the two oval headlamps, but it does have the shark-fin aerial fitted to the roof.

An old post but since you are back at the thread: this just describes that you have a facelift W211 (shark-fin on the roof instead of at the top of the rear window). But this does not answer what Alfie was after, there is a change from build date 06/2008 onwards, we would need to know if you have an NTG2.5 head unit or NTG1.

Hello

Sorry for hijacking the thread, but I have quite a similar problem. I own a w204 with Comand and just removed the cradle in the centre armrest - it was taking too much space. The problem is now bluetooth telephony has stopped working.
Any ideas how to fix it?
Can it be fixed in the engineering menu or do I really need to put that thing back?

Thank you,

A W204 would always have a factory radio with integrated BT HF support. Perhaps Alfie already answered your question above, already before you placed the question.

If it does not seem to work, read the manual, should be explained there.

An old post but since you are back at the thread: this just describes that you have a facelift W211 (shark-fin on the roof instead of at the top of the rear window). But this does not answer what Alfie was after, there is a change from build date 06/2008 onwards, we would need to know if you have an NTG2.5 head unit or NTG1.

Thanks for your reply. How do I go about finding out which I have?

OK, I have NTG1
W211-NTG1-Audio-20-CD.jpg

W211/W219 Audio-20-CD, like the one in the photo. HTH.

Final update, I now have a working car phone. I managed to find an iPhone 3GS (ebay £16) with a new sim card (£10 PAYG), plugged it into the cradle, paired it via Bluetooth, entered code 62872, and it works really well. There was no other setting up procedure at all.

Thanks to everyone for your input.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom